stupid AMD oc'ing question

BigMaxxin

Limp Gawd
ok i have a 1800+, with a gigabyte 7n40Pro 2 with 1 gig pc2100, what is the fastest i could make it go with stock cooling? and how do i do it???? iv been looking and people tallk about doing it in the bios i jsut cant figure out a way to up the gigahertz.

I dont know anything about your MB but at first glance your RAM will be an issue no matter what you try - as for making your system run faster - your BIOS should have some advanced chipset options for FSB, multiplier, memory timings, voltage adjustments...

Typically you lower your multiplier and slowly raise your FSB until you find its MAX (might need to increase your voltage to the vcore, vdd, vdimm to make this happen - what your temps). Once you find the MAX FSB back-off a bit and start to raise your multiplier following the same steps.

Make sure you read these and other OC related things on the net - look for people that have the smae or similar set up as you!

GL!

Originally posted by BigMaxxin
ok i have a 1800+, with a gigabyte 7n40Pro 2 with 1 gig pc2100, what is the fastest i could make it go with stock cooling? and how do i do it???? iv been looking and people tallk about doing it in the bios i jsut cant figure out a way to up the gigahertz.

no where far with PC2100.
The CPU's FSB and multiplier (CPU ratio) contribute to overall GHz. Raising either will increase CPU speed ...and that BASICALLY is overclocking. There's alot more to it though. For instance, with your system..your aim should be to lower the multiplier and and get the FSB as high as you can. Your memory will hinder you getting the FSB as high because for every 1Mhz you increase the FSB so too will the Memory Frequency increase.

What's the stepping of your CPU?
errr..you probably don't know what that means.

Look at the CPU.. You'll see a black sticker. Copy down all that info you see on the black sticker and post it here. And i'll tell you how overclockable is your CPU and whether or not you'll be able to certain things.

Read the sticky about overclocking.
Then read my memory guide ...especially the parts about bios tweakage and mem. overclocking.

there wasnt a black sticker on my spu, where would it be located? i copied down the only numbers i could fine on it, and that was 2711. my multiplier is currently set at 11.5 what would you suggest? also in the bios for the oltage it gives me options like +5%, and +7.5% what should i set it at while i am doing this?

Back