Stumper: How can one run a group of utilities/maintenace apps on startup?

warcrow

Weaksauce
Heres the situation:

30 workstations that need to be maintained (users do none of this, and have access to the internet). Logging into each machine individually, running these specific applications in order is very time consuming.

Goal:

To run several applications when logging into a "Maintenace" profile (Its being created strictly for doing this). The applications so far include (running in this order):

-Spybot
-Adware
-Diskcleaner (WinXP)
-Defrag (WinXP)

Resolve:

1) I Thought about creating a batch file that would run (kicked off by adding that batch to the win.ini file) as soon as windows logs in. But, I'm unsure how to make each application wait to start until the application running before it, stops. I'm guessing there is a way to "If, then, else" a "if spybot.exe is running wait 5 mins and check, if not running, then load".

2)Maybe there is an application out there (free, prefferable) that will do exactly just this.

Anyways constructive help and comments are welcome.

Thanks in advanced.

-M

Batch file scripting is the way to go. All your basic login-script needs can be found on Google (commands, pre-made scripts, tutorials, etc).

with batch files, the programs would be executed in order and each would wait for the one before it to finish

Ok, I managed to get the batch filing working the way I wanted it too.

A new probelm has come up. I cannot seem to get the batch file to run as soon as the profile is logged in. I tried the following systax in the autoexec.bat file:

"c:\batch\maint.bat"

"path=c:\batch\maint.bat"

"set path=c:\batch\maint.bat"

I searched via google and came across some pages, but I couldnt seem to find a page that has autoexec.bat commands. Help!

Thanks,
-W

Figured out a work arround. I just slipped the batch file into the "startup" folder and now is works like a dream! Thanks guys for the help.

i don't think the autoexec.bat is really used anymore

Yea, its not really. When I checked the autoexec in xp, there was nothing in it, but its there for use.

Back