Stumped

CaNaDian PyRo

Limp Gawd
It'd been a year since I'd assembled my computer, and given that I was down to my last few gigabytes, I'd decided it was to to format and reinstall Windows. I went about setting up a partition - something I'd ignored earlier - and proceeded to format the hard drive. Upon a successful reinstallation, I began configuring my computer as to my preferences.

The problem began after downloading the latest of W1zzard's ATi Overclocking tool. Having ran it for an hour, programs began to just stop opening. Thinking it was an issue with Windows, I merely logged off and back on. Same problem. I began to worry, slightly, but I restarted the computer, hoping that it would just go away on its own. Having not pushed my CPU to it's limits, I took advantage of one of the few reboots I perform, to raise the FSB another 5 MHz. This is where things began to seriously go wrong.

The computer wouldn't boot. I had remember reading something about a FSB ceiling on the Abit IC7-G, but hadn't stopped to ponder it further at the time. I haven't yet updated my BIOS, so I attribute it to that.

I unplugged everything, pulled the case from under my desk, and opened it up. I removed the CMOS battery, let it sit for a few minutes while I watched Conan, and put her back in. Then I set things as normal and booted it up. Now I had no video. When I look back to when I was first putting this computer together, I remember having a similar problem. I also remembered removing everything from the case and performing a becnh test at which point I had video. Placing everything back into the case, I turned it on and again, had no video. So I set her down to begin removing things, to try and pinpoint the problem. But I decided to simply test it out, and for no rhyme or reason, I had video. Attributing the problem to some freak occurence, I forgot about it. Having rarely needed to open up my case, this problem never had the opportunity to resurface. Until today.

I get the familiar posting noises, so I knew my computer hadn't died on me. I then took out the old ATi Radeon 7000 from the computer which I'm now typing on to identify the 9800 Pro as the problem. Still, no video.

This is where I'm completely stumped. The video card had worked fine half an hour before opening up the case. And it had worked for months before that. I'd had the card overclocked before the format, and I was merely testing it out again after installing the 3.10 Omega drivers. But why can't I get video from the 7000?

I'm clueless and I turn to you, my [H]ard brethren, for assistance.

Also please note, I have little to no hardware to swap out and test.

Additional information:
I was running LiteStep, this may have some how contributed to the programs not opening. My CPU had passed 24 hours of Prime95, so I didn't fear the additional 5 MHz. The video card was overclocked to my pre format speed, 420 Core, 370 Mem. I have only stock cooling.

Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 955DF
Hard Drive - WD 120 GB 8 MB Cache
Rest is below.

Well, if I read correctly you basically said that none of the problems started until you started overclocking your video correct? Have you tried setting the video back to stock speeds? Also, do you get video at all if you boot into safe mode? Of course you may not be able to do this if you get no video whatsoever from the moment you turn on your pc.

Also, I'm not sure I understood completely but you have a Radeon 7000 and a 9800 Pro correct? Does this happen with both video cards or just one?

The problem began the moment I first booted up my computer, about six months ago. But for some reason, it just went away. I never thought about it again. I'd had the card overclocked for months before today as well.

I can't get into safe mode because I've got no video, even after clearing CMOS.

The Radeon 9800 is my card, and the 7000 in another computer. I swapped in the 7000 to see if it was a problem with the 9800, but again I had no video.

What was the voltage to the agp slot set at? Did you screw with agp voltage at all? Both cards might be toast. Disable all overclocks and over voltages and find another video card.

I hadn't messed with the voltages. And neither video card is toast. The 7000 works fine in the computer I'm on right now, and for a while I had video on my other computer. I just can't figure out what was different between having video and not. Also, I can't test the 9800 on this computer, it's got no AGP. I'm thinking it might be the monitor which I'm going to test right now.

Edit: I plugged in the 17" monitor from my other computer only to originally have no video. However, a little error box came up that said 'Out of Range'. So I restarted the computer again, and, behold, I had video. Then I plugged my main monitor into the secondary output and was once again surprised to have video. Then I swapped the two monitors around and for some reason it works. I hate nonsencial answers.

On a separate note, dual monitors kicks ass. I'm going to have to get another. :D

im un familar with that mobo, does it have onboard vid? if so just use that and fix the problem, if not, try swaping parts in and out with the computer you are on now

No, it doesn't have onboard video. It appears as though I've found a solution, if somewhat tedious, in swapping monitors. Everything is back to the way it was. I just wish I had a firmer grasp of the problem.

Back