Stumped!! - Windows 2003 Standard + New IP Printer

klesik

Weaksauce
A little history:

The company I used to work for asked me to help them with a new printer they bought. They got a Canon MF4270 and before I had configured their older laser printer to be shared to all users on the domain. The old printer (Ricoh) and the new printer (Canon) are both connected via ethernet, and have their IPs statically assigned. The Ricoh printer prints stuff just fine. But this new Canon printer will print for 2 minutes and goes "Offline". I figured out the problem was with SNMP settings for that particular model. Also, the driver wanted the software suite to be installed too. (Yea I know - stupid). So that worked out fine. But here is the issue - Now you can send print jobs to the printer, but they never come out. I checked the logs, and I get a log that the print job was printed. And right afterwards its deleted. I checked the MS Knowledge Base and its a know issue for Server 2003 SP1. But on this server they have Server 2003 Standard SP2. This issue was supposed to have been fixed in SP2. I already looked through the drivers and configs, and it seems that Server is communicating to the printer.

My question is - Has anyone encountered such a problem? If so, where else should I be looking to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

I did spend time on the phone with them. They were of no help. The tech said, its not the printer its the server and they wouldn't do anything. Apparently Canon only will help with configuring the printer using their software on an XP machine. Anything on a server is out of their hands.

Thanks though!

Does it print if you install it on a workstation? Just making sure it is a problem with the server and not the printer.

Latest drivers/software downloaded and used to install it on the server?

Canon (at least in my experience) has an excellent team of techs through their vendors..that do onsites. I'd have them call whoever they purchased it from..and you can meet the tech there. I always do this for the initial install with the large MFPs that my clients purchase.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I did actually try to install the printer on an individual workstation (desktop). Its weird, when you try to map a TCP/IP port, Windows XP doesn't recognize the printer so you have to manually tell it what type of printer it is. After you install the drivers, I have it listed in my "Printers and Faxes", but still no print jobs. I can get an initial test page out, and then nothing. But when you use their software, it finds the MAC address of the printer - but won't connect. So either way, no go there. Sorry.

YeOldStonecat - I didn't know Canon could do onistes. I think they bought the printer from a Staples or something like that, but I'll double check. In either case, I will give Canon another ring. The guy I must have gotten probably was in a rush to go home. He wasn't too helpful at all.

Also, yea, I am using the software and drivers from their site. Latest version. Thanks!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I did actually try to install the printer on an individual workstation (desktop). Its weird, when you try to map a TCP/IP port, Windows XP doesn't recognize the printer so you have to manually tell it what type of printer it is. After you install the drivers, I have it listed in my "Printers and Faxes", but still no print jobs. I can get an initial test page out, and then nothing. But when you use their software, it finds the MAC address of the printer - but won't connect. So either way, no go there. Sorry.

YeOldStonecat - I didn't know Canon could do onistes. I think they bought the printer from a Staples or something like that, but I'll double check. In either case, I will give Canon another ring. The guy I must have gotten probably was in a rush to go home. He wasn't too helpful at all.

Also, yea, I am using the software and drivers from their site. Latest version. Thanks!

If it won't connect to a desktop machine and work properly, I'd have to say it's a problem with the NIC on the printer, not the server.

Their vendors will....and your clients should be steered towards their vendors...not the bargain outlets. The vendors give the support, the maint contracts, the training, etc. And more importantly...make life easier for you...the IT guy. Any client of mine wants to get a big MFP box...I steer them to one of several sources I use...let them select which model is good for my client...let them get it delivered...we schedule a day for me to meet them onsite at my clients to install the unit (I touch the server..they do not)...and they do the training.

TheCreator - I think that you are correct. I emailed them and told them it may be the NIC and to see if they can get a replacement. So they went back to Staples and got a new one. I was on the phone with a guy there and walked him through the config. Looks like its printing just fine now. Thanks!

YeOlde - Thanks for the advice! That is really smart. What kind of sucks about this company is that the owner thinks saving 10 bucks by going to a store is better than paying a bit higher but getting the support from a vendor. I was fighting with him before when I worked there, and rarely won. At least when I re-did their network, I used CDW and got the gear from there. He was really upset that I went that route and would always show me Best Buy ads of switches and stuff. He would always be like, "see this one is $50 bucks but you had to buy this expensive $200 switch." (I put him on the managed D-Link switches)

But either way. Thanks for the advice! I will keep pushing him and others onto vendors instead of those stores. I am with you on that one! Too much headache when people use home grade equipment to do things that require higher end equipment.

Thanks!

Back