Stumped: How to fix this computer?

I took up a little project of repairing a family friend's old computer. It's not vital that it be repaired, they have others.

It's an old HP pavillion with 2.0ghz P4, 512mb pc2100, 120gb ata100 hd, some other old stuff. Anyways, after first inspection, the HD is dead beyond my ability to repair. The disk completely stopped spinning, and repairing that would probably cost more than the computer is worth. So, I threw a 100gb hd in there and tried to boot windows onto it. Here's the problem. They have 2 sets of recovery disks, the original set and a new set they ordered from HP for $25. The new set "Isn't compatible with this model HP" Whoops, HP ripped them off of $25 there. When I try to boot the old recovery disks, I get into the XP installation screen and then get a "EULA missing" message.

They have a legit license of XP home, so I don't want to go out and buy them another copy, that'd be a waste. I'm also not about to install an illegal copy of xp on their machine, that'd just be stupid.

What are my options?

Thanks guys!

Some restore disks will not work with a new HD. If it looks for the old HD and doesn't see it, it will bomb out.

Unfortunately, You'll probably have to go with a hand install, but if the machine runs XP you should be able to get the drivers from HP's site.

Go to a legit shop and ask for a copy of the install CD. All MS partners get ISO's on DVD's they can burn for you. Albeit, not all stores will.
PC repair shops who deal with software issues might be more inclined to help.
Good Luck!

Call HP support and tell them the problems you're having. If it's under warranty they should support it. If not, then legally you need to buy another copy of windows.

altcon said:
All MS partners get ISO's on DVD's they can burn for you. Albeit, not all stores will.
That's not even close to right...

A lot of companies will have agreements with MS. They will get copies of most of the software MS provides on CD. If you have a MSDN subscription and recieve hard copies of software (not just downloads), then you can get a DVD with ISO's on. But, only the person who the MSDN subscription belongs to can legally use MSDN software. At no point are you allowed to redistribute this software.

Many OEMs have special OEM agreements that allow them to re-package certian software. But once again, they aren't going to hand to a burned CD upon request. OEM versions of MS software purchased at retail must legally be sold with a piece of hardware.

If they have the XP Cd Key on the side of the PC, Just burn a copy of your xp and use their code and do a reload that way. You do not have to use the recovery disk's you just need a XP disk. Also on that 100 gig error make sure the drive is completly formated with a low level format. Write 0's to the hole drive, than try to reinstall Xp

How do I format the hd when I'm unable to get into xp install (that message appears right after searching for hardware)? Should I hook it up as a slave to another computer, format it, then put it back into the HP?

Also, will a XP Home cd key work with any copy of xp home? That key they have isn't the key to some proprietory HP distribution or anything?

It is most likely a OEM key, but most any oem xp home cd should work fine with the key.. You just have to come up with an oem disk..

Korialstrasza said:
How do I format the hd when I'm unable to get into xp install (that message appears right after searching for hardware)? Should I hook it up as a slave to another computer, format it, then put it back into the HP?

Also, will a XP Home cd key work with any copy of xp home? That key they have isn't the key to some proprietory HP distribution or anything?
There are many tools out there that will clear the partitions from a drive. It's best to leave the drive unformatted when running the XP install routine, and set the partitions up from there.

You should be able to use any OEM version of XP Home with the CDKey thats on the side of the PC.
At the prompt to install XP onto what drive, delete all the partitions, recreate one, then format it and you should be all set

:rolleyes:
I've been there with Com-crap/HP before.
This is the problem: QuickRestore may not work after replacing the hard disk because the QuickRestore program does not identify the new hard disk. During the manufacturing process, an identification number (BOMID) is written to the UIA area of the hard disk. The BOMID identifies the model of the computer in which the hard disk is installed. Replacement hard disks do not contain this information(unless bought for an exorbinant amount of money straight from Com-crap/HP). Therefore, when using QuickRestore on a Com-crap/Hp computer that contains a replacement hard disk, the QuickRestore program will not be able to identify the model of the computer.
To resolve the issue, you have to write the BOMID to the UIA area of the new hard disk.

The problem is, the way to do this requires the system to be working.......which if it was WORKING.......you would'nt be worrying about the whole process.:mad:

You are better off using a regular XP disk (full or upgrade), and using the correct/already paid for key that came with the computer.

I bought a dell i9300 that came with xp home (uninstalled, installed my own xp pro) Is the xp home that came with it OEM?

Think I'll dig that copy up. :)

if you know anyone with a newer HP laptop that has the CD it will work cause the newer hp pavillion laptops are just a XP OEM disk, it wont even prompt you for activation when you install it because it knows its being installed onto an HP.

if you use a generic OEM disc you will more than likely have to call MS and try and activate with them, which shouldnt be too big of a deal but would be better if you can get a HP XP disc.

Monkey34 is right on this one - Apart from the system needing to be working part.

If you can convience HP to give it to you, you can update the BOMID yourself using their program to do it.

However, it isn't easy to do - convincing HP or doing the update itself.

One option you have is to find a HP reseller in your area that does the repairs themselves, and then see if they can help you.

Back