stumped - blue screen after new mobo+cpu install

I upgraded my athlon 2400+ with some asus motherboard to an Athlon 64 3700+ and another asus motherboard.

Now though, when I boot into XP pro, immediately after the OS loads, i get a blue screen and the computer restarts. Okay... So I boot into Safe mode with command prompt. Type in chkdsk /f - "Disk is locked, run chdsk on restart?" Yes. Restart computer and it starts booting up the normal XP pro again, no option for safe mode and no chkdsk.... Uhg.

Now, I throw in the OEM XP Pro cd, boot to it and go to the repair console.
C:\WINDOWS\: chkdsk /p
"Found one or more errors"

Now what do I do? How do I fix those errors? I can't go /f after chkdsk, it says it's not a valid parameter.

Thanks guys.

Okay, I reinstalled the system files from the cd. Still no good.

However, now the computer freezes at the blue screen. It said stuff about making sure there's space on disk (there's 30gb free) , check for bios updates (none available), and some other stuff.
There isn't any physical memory dump, but the stop is like this:
STOP: 0x0000007 (xxxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx,xxxxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx)

Tried switching out the ram, no good. Same thing.

Any ideas?

PigCorpse said:
You MUST reinstall.

I'd try to do a repair before you reinstall, I hate re-installing from scratch. There are very few instances in WinXP that you can change mobo and cpu without a reinstall or repair, in fact, i've never seen WinXP not complain without doing one of the above. If you really don't wanna lose your current install, try a repair first, and if that doesn't work, get all your install cd's in order 'cause it's gonna be a long night.

Kwincy

I'm voting to bring the stickies back to the front of the OS page, just so they don't keep being ignored. I would run a repair install to fix this problem, and in the future, follow the sticky on upgrading your motherboard using Sysprep to avoid these problems.

Back