Stumped about my Internet (SBC DSL)

Hey, I've been going through hell these past 2 weeks trying to figure out whats wrong with my internet connection.

I've done so much trouble shooting and more, and my download speed is choked to a mere 57.7k/s (max, averaged high 40's), however, my upload speed is unaffected. I've run more virus/spyware scans than i have in the past 6-8 months.

I thought it was on my end, but after bringing my computer to a friends house on Comcasts Cable i-net, my speeds were amazing (400+k/s download for an entire week), so I figured out it was not a problem on my end.

I'm on a Speedstream 5100 modem (I've shut if off, taken out cables, hit the manual restart on the bottom etc), and has worked to no avail. Swapped cat5 cables, thinking it could be a dead cable, no effect.

Called up tech support, the guy ran me through the traditional basic troubleshooting, and then put in a ticket with a line technician.

At this point, im stumped, and tired of having to wait so long for my pr0n.

Any one have any ideas?

Now I'm going to assume you mean it used to work perfectly fine so I assume your modem isn't behind a DSL filter.

So try the phone jack closest to where the phone line enters the house.

make sure they run a line test.
when i first got my dsl they never really put me down for the 1.5 meg down, and i was downloading like 10-20 k a sec.
a quick call to tech support and 2 days later it was running full speed.

this also happens when u get your dsl cut off and then started again.

Yes, my connection WAS running fine, There ARE filters on every phone in the house, I've tried the modem with and without a filter on it, to no avail. I really don't have the capabilities to move my stuff around that much to get it to the other end of the house.

Their comming Thursday afternoon to help.

Back