Stumped about Clearwire ISP

osalcido

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm stumped at the moment.

My clearwire wimax ISP works flawlessly when attached to my laptop. Great downloads, always perfect signal, never dies out. Can game, dl music, anything.

When I connect the SAME dongle to my PC.. it becomes a nightmare. Can never get above "Good" signal... constantly dies out after 15-20 minutes of use, reconnects after about 5-10 seconds telling me "Good" Signal again... becomes slow as molasses. Downloading at a quarter the speed i get on the laptop.

I've tried moving my desktop to the exact same locations .. put it outside even..to equal the locations I get maximum speed on laptop.. doesn't help at all. Have tried a USB extender, nothing.

Interestingly... I got these same issues on my laptop when I setup ICS to allow my Ipod touch to connect to the internet. Down to the constant disconnects ever 15-20 minutes. As soon as I disable ICS, the problem disappears.

Specs are:
Laptop:
Pentium T3400
2GB Ram
Vista SP2

PC:
Phenom X4 285
2GB Ram
XP SP3

So anyone have any ideas? Could Clearwire be doing this by MAC address detection? Could they be doing some kind of filtering/narrowing that Vista somehow bypasses?

then what explains it doing the same thing when i enable ICS on my laptop?

Back