Study: Smarter People Use iPhones

What about availability of cellular networks/plans that support Apple devices in the lower percentile states? Wouldn't that have a big impact?

What about availability of cellular networks/plans that support Apple devices in the lower percentile states? Wouldn't that have a big impact?

That would have been valid BEFORE iPhones were on the Verizon network and only on AT@T

Fact: just because someone has a college degree doesn't mean they're smart.

It takes 0 intelligence to get a liberal arts degree. Engineering majors could get those things in our spare time and collect them like baseball cards.

This.

Some of the most clueless people I've worked with had fancy degrees hanging in their offices.
Sometimes I wondered how they managed to tie their shoes in the morning, and find their way to the office.

California is #11? LOL. This state has one of the worst public school systems in the country. Hell, look at the dipshits they voted to represent them.

This "study" only makes sense if "smart" means complete and utter dumbass.

For this study, smart must mean someone who can't figure out how to use real phone :)

About the only truth in this study is that college grads tend to make more money, so many of them can afford to overpay for a cell phone.

How does this study know that it isn't all the dumb people in these states buying iPhones? I mean, just because these states have more college grads doesn't mean THEY are the ones buying the iPhones.

Steve, did you read the article? Even the company that did the study says that it's not granular enough to draw any conclusions.

Besides, Mississippi is near the top, and it's one of the poorest least educated populations in the country. The study is meaningless and the article actually says, to take it with a grain of salt

Seems like a Ford, GM, MoPar comparison. There's no distinction between models so no real way to evaluate the results. Android may be the "smarter" choice in a more blue collar state just due to the available apps (mining, farming, IDK). Totally flawed study.

For this study, smart must mean someone who can't figure out how to use real phone :)

About the only truth in this study is that college grads tend to make more money, so many of them can afford to overpay for a cell phone.

People buy what they like. With apple, you get support for the life of the phone. With the exception of Google's phones, you may or may not get an update.

A co-worker gave up on his Galaxy, because he couldn't get the LTE to work on a 3rd party ROM and he hated the Samsung interface. He stuck with android, but he ended up buying nexus at full price. That's something that most customers (regardless of what phone they buy) are willing, or able, to do.

I've used both, and they both have their pros and cons. Apple's biggest pro is that it just works. I haven't used one in the last few years, but MOTO androids were notorious rebooting themselves. Apple does this sometimes too, but if you didn't see the Apple logo come up, you owuldn't know, because all your apps were left exactly like they were before the boot.

Androids biggest pro, to me, is that many devices, if not most, accept an SD card, which is a nice feature to have. Apples fees for extra storage are very high, but every person I know that's bought an iPhone 6/6+ bought the 128GB version. And to put in perspective the decision process several of them had an iPhone at home and an android device at work. If they liked android more, they could have bought one for their home phone, but none did. They could also have used an android device at work, but some felt Android worked better with Exhcange, while others just wanted to use the latest Android device, just in case it turned out it was better.

But it's also true that if you've got a degree you have more money and you don't worry about the price, just the experience (which is true for college educated Android users too).

And assholes use Android.

I must be one of the biggest assholes in the world. I use a Google Nexus 6!!! :D

That would have been valid BEFORE iPhones were on the Verizon network and only on AT@T

Verizon was, and is, an expensive carrier. Democratization came when the Sprint, T-mobile and the regionals got the iPhone too. That came around the time of the 4S, as I recall.

Verizon was, and is, an expensive carrier. Democratization came when the Sprint, T-mobile and the regionals got the iPhone too. That came around the time of the 4S, as I recall.

Doesn't matter if they are/were expensive. They are/were the biggest carrier with the most subscribers. T-Mobile was a joke back then and sprint was bleeding users.

Ummm . . . yeah. Or people who fancy themselves smart (cork sniffers) buy iPhones. I doubt an actual IQ test was done as part of this study.

I have this one friend that is totally smug that she has an iPhone and iPad, so vain and shallow and proud. And when the phone comes it, it's "well let me see what's on my iiiii phone ..."

People need a study to help justify their purchases now? It's a phone/tablet/laptop.

If you have the money, or don't, (since trailer parks and projects are full of "i" owners too), buy what you want.
I do not need a study to tell me that the bit of tech I just bought mark me as a man of education, wealth, and intelligence. Especially since a bit of tech can't do that.

well the smartest people are frankly using the superior OS in Windows Phone and can live without 50 versions of a fart app.

I love Google products myself, can't wait for them to start building houses and sex robots.

I love Google products myself, can't wait for them to start building houses and sex robots.

You know they're gonna have lots of analytical stuff in the robots so they can target the best ads at you to fix sperm counts, a lack of confidence, premature errrr....well, you get the idea.

Anyway, if Google does start making those, I 100-million percent support them in doing so even if they go total creeper with data mining them because it'll keep a lot of people who really aren't good enough to interact with other humans at home doing disgusting things with their robot instead of out trying to bother everyone to give that kinda thing to them even though they're revoltingly undeserving.

You know they're gonna have lots of analytical stuff in the robots so they can target the best ads at you to fix sperm counts, a lack of confidence, premature errrr....well, you get the idea.
That wasn't obvious before, thanks for pointing out what Google does.

Anyway, if Google does start making those, I 100-million percent support them in doing so even if they go total creeper with data mining them because it'll keep a lot of people who really aren't good enough to interact with other humans at home doing disgusting things with their robot instead of out trying to bother everyone to give that kinda thing to them even though they're revoltingly undeserving.

So you'll finally like Google, got it.

That wasn't obvious before, thanks for pointing out what Google does.

So you'll finally like Google, got it.

Hehe...soooo very bitter! :D But yeah, if they can keep pervy losers off the streets by giving them an outlet for their fantasies, I'd totally support them on making toys.

A new study conducted by online advertising network Chitika found that states with more college graduates tend to also have higher iPhone sales.

I was thinking more along the lines of more people willing to spend money on a piece of paper that carries no guarantee of employment are also willing to spend more money on empty promises you can fit in your pocket.

I say this as I work on my second degree...

You know, I always get a ton of looks from my colleagues (I'm in IT) when I bring out my iPad or iPhone; and I get a lot of flak for it. For all of the "iPhone users are sheep", IT people are f'ing annoying about their androids. I just want a phone with a good camera that I don't have to worry about rooting and installing a custom rom.

Android has come a LONG way in the last year or two and I can easily see myself going to a pure android phone my next go around but please, android IT people, quit harping on iphone users. It's just an f'ing phone. It does not define anyone.

Are you me?

I switched from iPhone4 to a Samsung Galaxy S4. That was a nightmare for me. Went back to iPhone 6, and everything just works and convenient. Camera is ridiculous and doesn't show up blurry as hell on every snapshot.

My fellow IT colleagues are obnoxious with the Android circle jerk.

Hehe...soooo very bitter! :D But yeah, if they can keep pervy losers off the streets by giving them an outlet for their fantasies, I'd totally support them on making toys.

I like how you attempt to put any person that even thinks about a sex robot into the pervy loser category. You're a weirdo, IMO. I see you talking down about so many kinds of people I've gathered you're really just projecting your own insecurities onto others. I'm starting to think you'd be someone pretending to be a sex robot for those perverts as you call them.

So what does it mean if I have an iPhone and a Android phone?

That you have too fucking much disposable income.

And on that note, the far left would like to talk to you about taking larger chunks out of our paycheck...*ahem* your paycheck to alleviate this gross disparity between you and some jobless baby factory who's had a kid every year (with a different guy each time) for the last 16 years.

I don't think linking income/intelligence with brand selection is useful at all ... given the cost and capabilities of smart phones it is reasonable to argue that many people with smart phones are more intelligent (but it is not an absolute) ... and the selection of one brand of smartphone over another is generally meaningless and reflects nothing more than carrier, feature, or cost preferences ;)

I don't know much about Apple products but I was under the assumption that they were really easy to use that is why so many non tech folks liked them? AmIrite?

Most of the folks I see using Apple products are kinda dippy.

I like how you attempt to put any person that even thinks about a sex robot into the pervy loser category. You're a weirdo, IMO. I see you talking down about so many kinds of people I've gathered you're really just projecting your own insecurities onto others. I'm starting to think you'd be someone pretending to be a sex robot for those perverts as you call them.

OMG you caught meeee!
th

Besides, I only make honest, genuine observations about people around me and mention them very rarely in the forum when those things are super important to point out to put a tech thingy in perspective. Whether or not you think those neutrally worded observations are at all negative is kinda your fault for assigning a certain perspective to my carefully selected words.

Been an Android user for a decade at least. It's definitely been a struggle, especially early on. But Apple products just never really woo'd me. I like open source, always have. I like being able to use my phones with different things and not being locked into an ecosystem for any particular thing. I have a Note 3 and it's the first phone since I've been an Andorid user where I don't feel I need to upgrade at all. It does everything and has a huge screen which makes watching videos and YouTube perfect. I watched Thor 2 on a plane and it was crisp and beautiful in 1080p. I rip on people with iPhones now and then but it's only jokingly. I know Apple makes a good product, and iPhones have the reputation of "just working". But I've always been a tinkerer and the openness of Android and their phones allows me to customize up the wazoo - so I personally choose Android. People choose what they. Competition is healthy. Whatever.

You know, I always get a ton of looks from my colleagues (I'm in IT) when I bring out my iPad or iPhone; and I get a lot of flak for it. For all of the "iPhone users are sheep", IT people are f'ing annoying about their androids. I just want a phone with a good camera that I don't have to worry about rooting and installing a custom rom.

Android has come a LONG way in the last year or two and I can easily see myself going to a pure android phone my next go around but please, android IT people, quit harping on iphone users. It's just an f'ing phone. It does not define anyone.

It reminds me of my middle school days when your classmates judged you solely on the brand of sneakers you wore.

And to be on topic, this "study" is a ridiculous waste of time.

I'm in IT. What conclusions can you draw when the majority of IT people have little respect for Apple products or it's users?

Well i'd say that Macs and iPhones are popular among people who have jobs that pay a lot of money.

Take that for what you will.
+this to a degree.

The majority of the public do not truly understand the full ins and outs of phones - advantages/disadvantages, best applications (how to use them, lol) etc. This community is NOT the norm compared to the masses.

The more expendable cash one has, the more likely they are to buy something expensive, trendy and marketed the strongest.

The better ones job, the more expendable cash they are likely to have.

The better ones education, the better job they are likely to have.

A better education is perceived by many as being smarter.

People who have iphones are assholes and people who use android phones are assholes.

People who have iphones are assholes and people who use android phones are assholes.

I use windows phone...where do I fall?

That being said i work in a company with 50+ engineers on site and the majority, and i mean vast majority are android users

Back