Study Says Wikipedia Is Basically A Corporate Bureaucracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study claims that Wikipedia is basically a corporate bureaucracy. The researchers examined 15 years of what they called "positively drool-worthy" data to reach their conclusion.

To find out, he and Indiana University undergraduate Bradi Heaberlin decided to examine the emergence of social hierarchy and online behavioral norms among the editors of Wikipedia. They examined 15 years of Wikipedia data, involving tens of thousands of individuals, from 2001 to 2015. Their conclusion: “[It] looks like a university system, or like General Electric, or AT&T,” said DeDeo.

"What makes Wikipedia such a good test case is that it was founded in January 2001, during the very early days of the Internet. "
Very early days? Does that seem off to anyone else?

I would have compared it to a monument honoring extremely fragile egos.

"very early days of the Internet" would mean 1992-1995 since "it" really became publicly accessible through burgeoning ISPs around early 1992-ish if my memory serves me correctly.

It would have been more accurate for them to have said "very early days of Wikipedia" but, they're just young pups so what do they know about being online - I've been "online" since 1977 and still going. :D

I don't care what anyone says. Wikipedia is so damn useful it could be managed by marching ants and I wouldn't give a damn.

"What makes Wikipedia such a good test case is that it was founded in January 2001, during the very early days of the Internet. "
Very early days? Does that seem off to anyone else?

My early days were browsing AOL games and keyword nick in 1995 :| The oldness is creepin

Back