Study Says Many Dial-Up Users Don't Want Broadband

I have cable, yes it's comcrap, it's like $55 with modem rental? ... yes we get throttled every freaking weekend and it drives me insane. I made the switch from dial-up to dsl first in I think? 2006, I just couldn't take it anymore. Got Verizon dsl, that sometimes was slower than my dial-up. Only positive? I could use the phone while online. Ditched Verizon before my first month was up and went cable. At the time it was Roadrunner and I loved it.

My roommate uses msn dial-up, costs her a little over $25 a month and yes she does spend time on the computer. WHY she won't let her bf (who works in IT and knows how to set the network up) get her hooked up I'll never know. I even told her that I wouldn't expect her to kick in for the cable! I can't stand to be in her room and watch her try to load a page with more than say, 2 small images. It's like water torture. And updates? omg!

On the other hand, I have a friend who's only choice is ... dial-up. No dsl, no satellite (not that I'd want to use that), no cable - not tv, not internet. He's dying to get broadband to the point he made up a petition and got everyone in the neighborhood to sign it. Allegedly, they will now be getting dsl - in about 3 to 6 months. He's always online so the dial-up is making him insane, especially when dod yells that he needs to make a phone call (their cell won't work where they live - they're in a valley). Only positive? the dial-up he's using is only $10 a month and he almost always gets between 48kb and 50kb connection. That's alot better than most, heck it's better than my old dial-up.

Here I have $25/month 1.5Mbit(150KByte DL) DSL. More expensive isn't worth it sometimes, but I'd go w/ 768Kbit or 1Mbit if it was <$20/month. (my DSL was $20/month, bastards). This student needs a diff job. lol.

I have a 8mbit cable from Rogers for $45/mth and the modem rental is free. Honestly, its the best deal ever. Mind you the bandwith is split between 3 laptops and 2 dekstops of the household.

I have a 8mbit cable from Rogers for $45/mth and the modem rental is free. Honestly, its the best deal ever. Mind you the bandwith is split between 3 laptops and 2 dekstops of the household.

that's really only when 8mb+ is nice though. i had 10mb cable internet for a couple years and sadly i feel maybe 20% of the time did i even saturate half of my download speed. most downloads run at 200k or there abouts, and no matter what internet you have its just like that right now. flashget and other simultaneous downloaders would help greatly when they can be used though, i admit that.

Back