Study Says Google Does a Brain Good

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Oct 14, 2008.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

A study at the University of California, Los Angeles suggests that Googling is good for the brain. And, before you say it…this study was not sponsored by Google. Thanks to GJSNeptune for the linkage.

2. Shambler

Shambler [H]ardness Supreme

No study on Stumble Upon or Wikipedia?
    I'm disappointed.

3. AthlonXP

AthlonXP [H]ard as it Gets

I think Wikipedia is much better. I can go there and jump into on article and then move onto another within the first article and so on.

4. dbu8554

dbu8554 [H]ardness Supreme

Wow and how would you use WIKI without Google? Google made it easier to find sites like Wiki in the first place.

5. schenks

schenks [H]ard|Gawd

Firefox: Change search engine to Wikipedia

IE: Add Wikipedia as a search engine, change search engine to Wikipedia

:D

6. hardware_failure

hardware_failure [H]ard|Gawd

Wouldnt work, particularly for people like me who cant spell

wikipedia doesnt have a built in spell check (Im sure for good reason, so people dont accidentally read the wrong article and believe something they shouldn't)

7. RadCliffeX

RadCliffeX 2[H]4U

I love going wiki diving, at least thats what i call it. Go into wiki looking up one random topic and move onto another topic from links on the page of that topic only. you can keep reading for hours.

8. Ockie

Ockie *** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***

Contradicting to earlier studies which says people are becoming more dumb because technology is allowing them short cuts.

9. bob

bob 2[H]4U

I can google a word, and usually have wikipedia as the first or second result. Anything that I dont know about, which previously might require research in books, possibly even reading text and thinking. Not any more, now we can just google a topic, and make copypasta from wikipedia.

10. -Dragon-

-Dragon- 2[H]4U

It might be more appropriate to conclude that technology only serves to widen the "intellectual gap".

Those who wish to become smarter/more knowledgable have easier access to the information they desire to grow. Those who wish to take the shortest path and copy and paste from wikipedia as you say will end up holding themselves back.

The above will be exasterbated by the fact that both of those people will likely pass on their habits to their children and drive the gap even farther.

11. The Red

The Red [H]ard|Gawd

exasterbated = exacerbated

As if there wasn't enough irony in my diet..

12. diction

diction n00b

Nice, I'll start using "wiki diving" now :)

13. BBA

BBA [H]ardness Supreme

Google is like a library index where wiki is like a living encyclopedia. (anyone remember the dewey decimal system?)

14. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

Even those who copy/paste from Wikipedia still have to read the article to find which portions to copy and paste. Multiply that by a few thousand times and some piece of information is bound to stick, even in some of the dumbest of minds.

The way I see it, is the intellectual gap may continue to widen with technology to some degree as you say. However, the bar will atleast be raised a little, and that can only be a good thing for the human race.

Think of it this way: Would you consider the person who sites all their knowledge from internet sources as dumb as a 20 year old who can't pass 3rd grade? Or would you consider that person above that intelligence level because they atleast TRY to look up/learn new info, no matter how BS the source is (+90% of internet)?

Please note, my statement above (20 year old who can't pass 3rd grade) is an exaggeration to make a point, and I in no way include people with learning disabilities in that statement.