Stuck with leeching wifi, usb adaptor fail, what next? Cantanna?

topcat989

Extremely [H]
Well I'm so damn poor I cut my internet off. There's an open wifi network (only one I see) (I NOW HAVE OWNER'S PERMISSION) and my iogear wg625 usb adapter can see it, but drops it when trying to connect. All I want is email, craigslist, and [H] :(

seeing some antenna builds, even for usb (no soldering, just focuses the singal onto the adapter) but wanted to hear suggestions from you guys. I have little money, but I can return the iogear if needed. My computer is a desktop, not a laptop so there's flexability there.

Need right away, I'm having to go to the damn libary to get internet, being poor fucking sucks.:rolleyes:

I have a linksys router (wrg v3) that will take tomato and ddwrt, can I actually use it to tap into an unsecured wifi network?

as I said, only interested in email and basics

thanks for any constructive help

Last edited:
First, you should ask the owner of that WiFi if you can use their internet, then post back here after you have their OK.

Seeing as leeching a privet unsecured connection is not legal you should consider other options.

There are still free dialup services like Netzero/Juno and others.

Can you put a bridge/repeater on the windows to grab it?

How much was your old internet bill, because i know that Comcast offers $10 internet if you meet the requirements. Here

If thats out of the question i would ask the owner of the internet first. then take a pringles can and cut a hole in the bottom to fit a USB extender in and plug you usb wifi in to it and point it around to see if you can find a free hotspot. you can also make a directional antenna out of a bowl and tin foil.(make it as smooth as possible) hell you could even do both but cutting vertical holes from the bottom to the mid section of the can about .5 inchs apart and mounting that inside the bowl. if you can you could try getting a usb wifi with an external antenna thats removable and getting a high gain antenna, that would help, or doing the same with a wireless network bridge/AP.

OK I found out where it was coming from and asked the guy for permission. He told me no problem, it's open for a reason. Now that that is settled, how about some help improving reception instead of holier then thou sermons?:)

Thanks for those who try to actually help.

Lethal, I no longer have a land line.

Can you put a bridge/repeater on the windows to grab it?

this is what I'm asking. I don't know. Can you do this, or will it not work and so don't waste time trying. My knowledge is really limited here, that's why I'm asking in between googlefu

a bridge would work to connect more then one device but the single strange will not necessarily go up, it might, it depends on the antenna.

just go buy a nanostation loco m2 or a picostation m2 and place it outside then run cable from outside into inside to a router and call it for a day.

a bridge would work to connect more then one device but the single strange will not necessarily go up, it might, it depends on the antenna.

:confused:

"There's just one thing I don't understand. The thing I don't understand is every motherfucking word you just said." - big bald black dude

let me state it again:

I have a usb stick wifi adapter. I want to connect to free wifi and open network I have permission to. I can see the network, but drop as soon as trying to connect. Suggestions on how to connect to weak signal would be appreciated.

OK I found out where it was coming from and asked the guy for permission. He told me no problem, it's open for a reason. Now that that is settled, how about some help improving reception instead of holier then thou sermons?:)

Not trying to be holier then thou, just trying to inform you of the possible legal issues that could arise if someone finds you on their network without permission.

Lethal, I no longer have a land line.

You could go to Dry loop DSL, or get a $10/mo cable connection (can be done if you ask).

As for trying to boost a weak signal the best way is a directional antenna, or on the cheap a Cantenna. Go out to newegg, frys, Radioshack, where ever. Get yourself a 5dbi SMA antenna (or just use the one from the card) and a sma male / female cable something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200090

Now get yourself a can of your favorite flavor of Pringles (Coffee cans work well too, soup cans not so much). Once you have consumed the pringles punch a hole in the bottom of the can (last time I made one, I just used a pencil) and feed the cable through the hole. Then tape it all in, and screw the antenna to the cable. Finally find your best line of site to the open AP and Tape your pringles can in place where you get the best signal. Vola you have a directional antenna on the cheap. If it still isn't good enough and the dude's AP has SMA antennas on it, buy him a pair of 12DBI buggers and that should do.

Back