Stuck pixels - will things get worse?

sm8000

Gawd
My office ordered about 40 LCD flat panel monitors (17") and I installed them all to various users throughout the floors, phasing out mostly beige/yellow old 15" (and some 17") CRTs. I did notice that five of them had stuck pixels (color not changing) so today I went to replace them. However, out of the 12 left over, only 3 had good panels (no stuck pixels). I'm just wondering whether monitors with stuck pixels get worse over time (i.e. do they spread, for example?) or if there's no danger at all? It's just getting to be a bit of a pain to test these and all. Should I go through with replacement or not worry about it?

Can you even get a panel replaced for just a stuck pixel? As far as I know most companies don't like doing that. Granted, you might have a bit more leverage, being a company and all.

No stuck pixels aren't contagious. =0þ

As for if you should replace them, it should be replaced if you want perfection, or the person using it is bothered too much (then also bring in cost efficiency).

It sounds to me like you have waay too many screens with dead pixels. Most people on this board are getting perfect screens nowadays..... what is the brand / model your using? Maybe someone can provide more feedback on them.

Darth Bagel said:
Can you even get a panel replaced for just a stuck pixel? As far as I know most companies don't like doing that. Granted, you might have a bit more leverage, being a company and all.
Stuck pixels I don't know, but dead one's, yes.. Some only allow exchange with 10+ dead pixels though. :rolleyes:

I think CDW is going to refer you to the manufacturer on this (unless they have a "satisfaction guaranteed" period) and Princeston will require you to have at least 7 or 8 stuck pixels on one screen before doing a warranty exchange, so getting those replaced will not be easy. This having been said, typically new stuck pixels won't appear after the LCD initially warms up. I've only seen one exception to this personally. If these are for office use, I doubt most would even notice the issue, maybe you should just deal with those who complain about them.

CDW I've heard will let us return for exchange within 30 days of purchase, so we have that option. I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of testing the replacements and sorting the bad from the good, every time until we get all good ones. My manager, so far, is keen on replacing them if we have the chance. Maybe he'll change his mind if I show him what a stuck pixel looks like, and how unnoticeable it really is 95% of the time.

Back