• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stuck making a descision...

song414

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
324
Hi guys... well I am stuck on choosing between 2 displays. The westinghouse 37" and a dell 2405/2407fpw.


What i want to know is which one should I choose and why? Well first off let me explain what I am going to use it for. I plan on using my computer for movies/pc games like fear cod2 and future stuff/xbox360 hookup/and if i get the westinghouse as a tv via the coax input. I have basic cable through a analog connection sadly... anyways would that look decent on the westinghouse? I will be sitting back in my chair (it reclines) and the monitor will be pushed as far back as possible. It will be around 3-4ft away from my face. What I want to know is how well does the westinghouse perform in image quality compared to the dell 2405, the black and whites are better on which?, do they ghost?, and the overall quality of them both in the desktop/gaming areas. Also if this huge tv doesnt make me go blind or cause headaches or screw up my vision from sitting so close to it. I like to use my computer for hours and it would suck if it gave me headaches after awhile.

Also I am using a 17" crt. Switching to widescreen, will it affect how well i do in online games? I was really good at ut2k4 and was on the top 10 list at one time and since it is a really fast paced game i would hate for the monitor to ghost. Or the sheer size of it make my neck cramp from having to turn to look at one side.

For movies I could sit a little more far back. Maybe 10-15ft. So that wont be a problem. Same with using the xbox360/ps3. But close up will the westinghouse look like crap with games such as fear at its native resolution since the pixels are so much more bigger? Also i plan on going to college and possibly live in a dorm then. Will this big tv fit in a dorm? lol.
 
No. Regular Tv looks like ass on an LCD via coax. Really, really looks like ass. So bad that it will make you want to turn off the TV and just not watch tv at all. Even via digital cable, standard definition only looks so-so. If you arent going hi-def, an LCD tv is a waste of money IMO. Go with the 2405. Just make sure you have a video card that can push it.
 
Song, those are good thoughtful questions.
I've seen 37" Westy up close n' far away in stores.
IMO you'll have very little "head-swiveling" if your face is 24-30 inches from 37" screen.
At that distance, your eyes can follow the action without a lotta head-swiveling.
Because human eyes can easily scan horizontally, "left-right".
(It's 'up-down' movement that gives our eyes trouble and fatigues them).
If 37" owners say different, listen to them.
I can't say for sure how "good" the 37" Westy screen looks. Why?
Because Best Buy stores here don't have them connected to a true "1080P" (1920x1080 rez) signal.
They have them connected to the lesser, 1377x760 signal----or to crummy screensavers.
That frosts me no end.
However, even on the lesser signal (1377x760 rez) the Westy's pic looked purty darn nice.
Which suggests it'll be excellent at its native 1920x1080p rez.
Good luck.
 
Zak said:
Song, those are good thoughtful questions.
I've seen 37" Westy up close n' far away in stores.
IMO you'll have very little "head-swiveling" if your face is 24-30 inches from 37" screen.
At that distance, your eyes can follow the action without a lotta head-swiveling.
Because human eyes can easily scan horizontally, "left-right".
(It's 'up-down' movement that gives our eyes trouble and fatigues them).
If 37" owners say different, listen to them.
I can't say for sure how "good" the 37" Westy screen looks. Why?
Because Best Buy stores here don't have them connected to a true "1080P" (1920x1080 rez) signal.
They have them connected to the lesser, 1377x760 signal----or to crummy screensavers.
That frosts me no end.
However, even on the lesser signal (1377x760 rez) the Westy's pic looked purty darn nice.
Which suggests it'll be excellent at its native 1920x1080p rez.
Good luck.


awww i cant see one up close cause the bb near me doesnt have the 37" only the 32"

I heard someone got it for less than 900$ just b4 the new year at bb bc it was a display model or had a open box. Anyways i am looking for a deal like that b4 i snatch one if i ever do.

i still cant decide.
 
A salesman said yesterday:
"Westinghouse 37" is the beginning of a 1080P tidal wave. In next few months many mfrs will market their own "under 40 inch" models and prices will drop big-time".
Let's hope he's right. :D
 
Zak said:
A salesman said yesterday:
"Westinghouse 37" is the beginning of a 1080P tidal wave. In next few months many mfrs will market their own "under 40 inch" models and prices will drop big-time".
Let's hope he's right. :D

meh i dont have much time to wait i got until march to see if he is right.
 
song414 said:
meh i dont have much time to wait i got until march to see if he is right.
That old salesman thinks the new 1080P LCD-TVs in sizes between 24" to about 35" will sell like crazy.
He hopes to sell "lots of 'em" priced under $1K to Home-owners and Lan Gamers and Joe College crowd.
He thinks they'll "snap-up" low-priced 1080P Big-Screens that can fit in tight places, are light enuff to lug around, can be used for Work, or 1080P Movies, or hi-rez 1920x1080 Gaming.
Hm, maybe I'll wait a couple months, see if he's right.
 
Back
Top