stuck at blue XP screen

dragonorta

Limp Gawd
I searched for this, but couldn't find anything that sounded like this. I'm trying to fix my friends laptop with XP Home on it.It'll boot up fine, but instead of going to the XP login screen, it goes to a screen that lloks alot like it, but instead of having a user name to log into, it just has the Windows XP logo, and no account name to log into. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this at all. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When you're at that screen with the Windows XP logo, try hitting Control, Alt, and Delete twice and you should get a Username and Password dialog. The previously logged in username should be in the Username box and if it needs a password, enter it and you should be able to log in.

dragonorta said:
it gets stuck at windows\system32\drivers\aliagp.sys when I boot into safe mode.
That's the chipset AGP driver....sounds like that's either corrupted, or missing.

You would have to log into Windows to do that. Right before the Windows XP boot screen comes up (the one with the scrolling blue bar), push F8 and then choose Enable VGA mode and that *might* let you log into Windows so you can download and install updated drivers.

Enable VGA mode doesn't change anything, I still don't get any accounts to log into after the boot up screen.

If he has a proper XP install disk (instead of a system restore cd) throw it in and do a repair install. His programs & files should remain intact.

I think that screen means that there is a problem with his user account folder (perhaps caused by moving a system folder to an external drive)

Theres a system 32 microsoft doc on this. It requires you to copy files over from the recovery console.

Back