Struggling to get a decent O/C

I have an amd 4800+, asus sli-premium and SLI'd 7900GTXs, and 2gb corsair ram

Cooling is a Zalman fan (i forget the model) .....the problem is I can't seem to overclock past 5%.....5% everything runs smoothly and perfectly. try to get to 6% and I can boot into windows, but 3dmark crashes after 2seconds. It doesn't matter whether I manually play with the settings or use asus's default options (e.g., for 5%, 8%, etc...), it just doesn't want to push past a 5% o/c. I've read that the SATA ports may be unlocked in this board so they o/c along w/ the rest of the stuff and can cause it to crash, but I need to use all 4SATA ports so I can't exactly switch them around, heh. (I'm hoping that's not what's causing it to crash)

Any ideas why?

Your sata drives seem like the problem... To me at least.

I'm assuming if you used the ASUS bios overclock option (the 5% steps) then your settings should be a problem as ASUS loosens your timing, kills your HTT among other things.

Can you take out all but your boot drive, and add that to the 4th SATA connector. Those are locked. You're also risking the data on your drives if you're OCing on an unlocked port.

I'd love to try to use sata ports 3/4 only, but unfortunately i need all 4 ports (that's what I get for building a gaming/work server, haha)

Oh well, I guess maybe i should just be happy w/ a 5% o/c.
:confused:

Back