Structured Cabling Question

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
We have a low voltage installer running all new CAT6 throughout a two-story building that's being remodeled. We've asked them to patch all drops on the first floor, to the first floor IDF, and all second floor drops to the second floor IDF, seems simple to me.

They're telling me that they typically just run to the closest closet, first or second floor, and that because we're forcing them to cable the building this way, they're going to create a cross connect between floors on CAT6 rated 110 blocks, that sounds insane to me... I've never heard of such a thing for CAT6/Gigabit networks, but a quick Google confirms that CAT6 rated 110 blocks do exist. Apparently it's more of a challenge for them because the first floor is already finished, with drop ceiling and all, and now they're trying to wire the second floor.

Have you guys ever heard of, or seen this in practice? I want to tell them to pull straight from the proper IDF to the drops, but wanted to do a little research before I do. I may not have questioned it, if they came off as professionals in the first place, but they've definitely done some questionable work already.

Appreciate any input, thanks guys.

If the floors are very large (meaning cable runs would exceed 300') then each floor should have and IDF, then the two IDFs should be connected with either fiber or CAT6 uplinks. If the floors are small and all cable runs will be under 300' then it is ideal to have all home runs to a single IDF.

Running cables to the nearest closet between floors is silly IMHO.

Don't let them cross connect, just another piece to fail. All runs should be home runs to either an IDF or MDF.

I agree, running to the closest closet between floors is going to create a huge clusterf*ck of wires. What happens if a cable goes down and needs to be replaced? Replacing a cable that runs between floors would end up being a huge pain after everything is all buttoned up.

Each floor should have its own closet, and closests should be connected with two or more runs of fiber (with a fallback line for each active line).

If you aren't up-linking the IDFs via fiber then have them pull 4 CAT6 cables. This gives you room to expand if needed.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. All uplinks are on diverse path fiber port channels so we're good there, another good reason for not running copper between floors.

Oh, and the floors are small, runs are definitely well within the 100m spec.

Back