• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stronger video card cleaning

Track

n00b
Joined
Feb 24, 2003
Messages
6
I have a 9800 pro, and i need some suggestions how to go about cleaning it. The bottom of the card (side without the fan & capacitors) has caked on dust/soot I want to get off. Compressed air is out of the question. I was thinking about putting it in the sink with some soapy water and letting it sit. Or would alcohol work?
 
whats wrong with air?

Id use a damp cotton cloth...no soap, no other chemicals.
soaking in a sink? ROFL
 
Why is canned air out of the question?

Dont put it in water, thats just asking for trouble. Not sure about alcohol or solvent cleaners.
 
Compressed air...doesnt work. The stuff is CAKED on. Water alone didn't work either.
 
alcohol based cleaner would be a good bet
something like nail varnisher remover ....
 
Any soak in liquid is bad, the liquid can wick into the base plate and delaminate it => dead card. Nail polish remover is acetone based, also not something that goes well with plastic parts. I'd try pure isopropanol (not rubbing alcohol) on a Qtip for starters.
 
I'd get a wooden toothpick and try and flick/scrap it away...just be careful. Question:

How did this stuff "cake" on int the first place?
 
Well there was a small fire, and i guess some smoke/soot/dust whatever got in there. Ive been using it problem free for a couple months now, but recentley i've been getting some weird red vertical lines in Windows and when I try to play a game the graphics are messed up. I tried my friends 9800 pro and it worked fine, so i'm trying to clean mine up to see if that solves anything.
 
SocketA said:
Dirt and Heat = caked on dirt. Just like cakemix and heat = cake! :p

lol

Track said:
Well there was a small fire, and i guess some smoke/soot/dust whatever got in there. Ive been using it problem free for a couple months now, but recentley i've been getting some weird red vertical lines in Windows and when I try to play a game the graphics are messed up. I tried my friends 9800 pro and it worked fine, so i'm trying to clean mine up to see if that solves anything.

Ok try and give it a clean. but be carefu, i mentioned a toothpick you could try and use a screw driver or something but be VERY careful...
 
Back
Top