• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Striping "somewhat" different drives

Phrik

Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
636
"Somewhat", meaning like striping (RAID 0) two HDDs, one is the WD1500ADFD (Raptor 150) and the other one is a WD1500AHFD (Raptor X 150)

Technically speaking they are the same only that there model is not "and" noise level.

Possible to RAID 0 them together ?

1 thing: I have never RAIDed before in my entire life. But I have read many things about RAIDing but I haven't read anything across this kind of situation.

Thanks for any insights about this.
 
Technically there is a difference in the firmware as the AHFD is supposed to be more desktop oriented, but they are the same generation drive with the same size cache, same spindle speed, etc, so I wouldn't think you'd have any problem.
 
Anyone else has a word or two about this concern of mine ? I wanna RAID two of the WD1500s but I can only show-case 1 Raptor X on my case and also 1 noisy HDD is enough for me to handle.
 
Hmm, I thought you pretty much only needed the same size drives..

edit: setting up non-raid drives in to raid will delete the information anyways so why not try it? ;)
 
Phrik said:
Anyone else has a word or two about this concern of mine ? I wanna RAID two of the WD1500s but I can only show-case 1 Raptor X on my case and also 1 noisy HDD is enough for me to handle.

You can create a RAID 0 from any 2 drives, regardless of size differences.
What the controller will do is create the array based off of the smaller of the 2 drives and leave a little wasted room on the larger of the 2 drives.
Just goofing around one day, I did it with a 40GB and an 80GB drive. Ended up with 1 80GB array and 40GB of unusable space on the 80GB drive.

So in your case, they should have the same physical size, same platter size and number of sectors. So it should work without any problems.

Luck
 
Back
Top