StriderMod creates a Portal copycat - In Multiplayer

You mean a copy of the Prey portal gun? Yeah, they had a portal gun and even a tech demo showing it off back in the 90s using the quake 2 engine. Portal just rips off prey and tries to pretend it is their idea.

You people need to calm down with this whole "they ripped them off" thing. You can't know who really came up with it first and it's the implimentation that really counts. Not who got it first.

And it's 'prey' not 'pray'.

Wow, that looks like perfect implementation. Congrats to those coders.

Crucible1001 said:
Oh nos, a grammar nazi. Good thing I am not one, or you'd be in trouble.
Who said I was a grammar nazi? I was just pointing out that you got the title of the game wrong.

i hope valve doesnt see this, they might get discouraged, (or not).

Crucible1001 said:
You mean a copy of the Prey portal gun? Yeah, they had a portal gun and even a tech demo showing it off back in the 90s using the quake 2 engine. Portal just rips off prey and tries to pretend it is their idea.

the whole "ripped off who" shit is getting old, NO ONE THAT COUNTS GIVES A FUCK

Kingpin said:
Thanks for saying what I did. Only better and with less words :D

m3ta1head said:
Why would they get discouraged? lol
who knows how long it took valve to make portal, and probably wanted it to be something new for "Half Life 2" (not prey) players, and some regular joes make a mod that mimics it exactly (not 100% certain).
Props to the modding community.

Valve will probably do a better job with it.

Something like that wouldn't make a company like VALVe get discouraged.

VALVe's portal system is a lot more than going from point a to point b ;)

Kingpin said:

You know what makes you look really stupid? I have never said or heard anything about it here or elsewhere. I clicked on an old prey video link on Digg a month or so ago to see what it was, not to see the portal stuff used. I thought hey, that "portal" video I saw ripped this off.

The first time I read about people talking about it were you two tools telling me off. So please, try not to act so quick at being an asshole because you may just make yourself look like an idiot.

Crucible1001 said:
You know what makes you look really stupid? I have never said or heard anything about it here or elsewhere. I clicked on an old prey video link on Digg a month or so ago to see what it was, not to see the portal stuff used. I thought hey, that "portal" video I saw ripped this off.

The first time I read about people talking about it were you two tools telling me off. So please, try not to act so quick at being an asshole because you may just make yourself look like an idiot.

You're uninformed, don't bother replying and telling other people they are asses. Move on to the next thread.

Uninformed in what? I was expressing my opinion about them copying the portals in prey. If anyone is uninformed it is you.

post41142044840fw5.gif

You are uninformed in the sense that you think we care which game had the portal idea first. Contrary to what you believe, we are here to discuss the mod and not to have a which came first discussion.

Crucible1001 said:
Oh nos, a grammar nazi. Good thing I am not one, or you'd be in trouble.

Stop defending that pathetic, short, un-fun and uninnovative excuse for a first person shooter game known as Prey. There has not been and will not be a decent, respectable piece of software designed on the Doom 3 engine as far as I'm concerned. And if you want to talk about who has portals first, they were probably in one of the first Quake games.

Crucible1001 said:

You should apply what you said to yourself. Prey was not the first to demonstrate/use the portal technology. My point still stands, no one that matters gives two shits who was first or who is copping who. This is part of business, games get copied or changed all the time. You need to grow up and stop acting like a fool.

m3ta1head said:
VALVe's portal system is a lot more than going from point a to point b ;)
Now admittedly we have not seen everything capable of Valve's portal system, but currently Prey's portal system is more advanced, in that it works the exact same way, but you can create portals at ANY point in 3D, pointing/facing in any 3D direction, whereas what we've seen from valve is just portals agaist surfaces (like walls).

Its actually Valve's portals which work more like doors, than Prey's. Of course the physics make valve's implementation have awesome possibilities.

Why not just say you are sorry and admit you made a mistake about me? You keep defending your original point which was an unwarranted string of rage.

Crucible1001 said:
Why not just say you are sorry and admit you made a mistake about me? You keep defending your original point which was an unwarranted string of rage.

no your wrong

FYI
In game design, the winner is not who creates an idea first, it's who best uses the idea.

Volucris said:
FYI
In game design, the winner is not who creates an idea first, it's who best uses the idea.

Here! Here!

In anycase thats pretty cool, and I'm really looking foward to Episode 2, Portals and TF 2!

Back