Strict NAT Help

65Kfosta

Weaksauce
Is there anyway to get around a Strict Nat ? I Live at an apartment that has built in internet and is provided with my lease through suddenlink communications. But for some reason when ever i try to play COD Modern warfare i can never connect to my friends partys from what i understand this is because of the "Strict NAT " setting.

I have talked to the landlord and they seem less then helpful. Im almost at the point of going crazy.

Any ideas?

just a thought but if you can get a router between the xbox and the wall I believe you can choose to open the nat on the router.

just a thought but if you can get a router between the xbox and the wall I believe you can choose to open the nat on the router.

ummm... no, this will double NAT his setup.
He's already going through a router it sounds like.

and no, we cannot help you circumvent security on a network not owned by you. Getting your own 'net connection would be the best thing.

ummm... no, this will double NAT his setup.
He's already going through a router it sounds like.

and no, we cannot help you circumvent security on a network not owned by you. Getting your own 'net connection would be the best thing.

ah ok, thanks. was just a thought :D

Most everything you would need to get buy-in from the landlord. UPnP is supposed to be a way to poke holes in the firewall on demand but the client (game) and router have to support it and it has to be enabled. You could ask your landlord for your host to be the DMZ.

I don't know about 'Modern Warfare" but there are less painful ways to support clients behind a NAT. You might have more luck on forums dedicated solely to that game.

If your building has a switch dedicated for the WAN ask if you can have one public IP and put your own router there. Then, patch your router to your suite. They may let you.

However, this puts you around any QoS, traffic shaping, etc. they have to prevent people from abusing the system. So, they may be less than helpful as you've found out.

Riley

Yeah the landlord i dont think has a clue what he has setup he had no clue what i was talking about and i cant get my own connection because they wont allow us to use other providers. Oh well guess im dead in the water till my lease is up.

So, you're not allowed to get your own ISP via DSL or cable? I would imagine you should be able to get DSL barring any technical limitations.

I once checked out a complex that had their own in-house cable system and as such you couldn't get cable Internet. They also had their own WiFi system that covered the complex. Coincidentally, sometime after I looked at that place I met the owner of the WiFi provider and upon hearing I was in IT asked me for advice how to "throttle" users who were playing WoW.. He said the tenants had signed petitions to improve the service or allow them to use alternates. Hah.

I think there are specific legal rights you have to choose your own providers. At least, this works with things like TV (landlords cannot block you from getting satellite for example).

Riley

You could ask your landlord for your host to be the DMZ..

Ack! And probably within 5 minutes his PC will be infested with trojans/worms because all 65,000 plus ports were exposed, that's like hanging your PC out on the internet with vasoline on its butt saying "rape me!" Grab the OS CD and format/reinstall after an hour of that...woohoo!

Without knowing what the setup is for the apartment complex...we're just blindling taking stabs at what the cause is. Most likely caused by whatever hardware router or software proxy server is being used to provide internet for the apartment complex.

And the apartment complex manager probably didn't even set it up, he probably just hired some place to set it up for him, and manage it.

I have a hard time believing the OP cannot get his own phone land line...thus DSL.

I can't get an analog phone line where I live because of some BS Comcast deal with the property manager either. This is becoming more common lately it seems. It's VoIP or nothing here.

I don't see how that is legal. They deny you both traditional phone and cable service? Someone is feeding you misinformation.

I would call up a local DSL or Cable provider and tell them you want service. Tell them where you live (but don't tell them the things the property manager is telling you) and see if they will give you service.

I'd like to see the apartment manager give you grief over that.

Riley

I could possibly see it being an issue if new lines had to be run anywhere, and the property owner doesn't let that happen.

and if it's VOIP, then no DSL, unless there's a NID on/in the building somewhere, where the lines to that apartment could easily be moved to a standard POTS line. If they even have POTS service.

I know up here, we no longer have POTS, or atleast I don't.

damn phone is all run through the same coax as the cable. Sucks, because my place only has 2 coax outlets. Neither one near a phone jack, so that I can have more than 1 phone, short of using those multi-handsets that will have horrible reception to the main base.

It's my understanding that the only thing that NAT=open provides for MW2 is the ability to host games.

I run a pfsense router . I did'nt ever have any problems connecting to games with NAT=strict....

If you can get your landlords help , the ports you need to open are :

Steam Client
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers
TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Additional Ports for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer
UDP 1500 (outbound)
UDP 3005 (outbound)
UDP 3101 (outbound)
UDP 28960

I can verify that list is accurate , my MW2 is now NAT=open........Gives me the opportunity to get owned by hackers with a really low ping once in a while.

:p

Yeah thats exactly my problem i guess they ran the buildings thinking they provide the service no one will need anything else so sense i cant run lines im out of luck. Sure its probably not right but do i feel like going through all the hassle not really. The complex is great otherwise and I dont feel like fighting management. I also believe it was installed by some other company it uses this management console "Korcett Management" but i digress. My VPN and everything else works fine so at least i can still do business work which is my main priority.

It's my understanding that the only thing that NAT=open provides for MW2 is the ability to host games.

I run a pfsense router . I did'nt ever have any problems connecting to games with NAT=strict....

If you can get your landlords help , the ports you need to open are :

Steam Client
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers
TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Additional Ports for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer
UDP 1500 (outbound)
UDP 3005 (outbound)
UDP 3101 (outbound)
UDP 28960

I can verify that list is accurate , my MW2 is now NAT=open........Gives me the opportunity to get owned by hackers with a really low ping once in a while.

:p

Thanks for the ports im going to keep talking with the owner he sounds like he needs some computer help anyway so maybe we can work out a deal or something

Back