• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Strict $600 limit; SFF or Micro ATX?

Twinkie

Gawd
Joined
Jan 10, 2002
Messages
640
Hey, gang.

My brother is getting ready to go off to college so I figure I'd give him a hand building his SFF or Micro ATX system.

He has a budget of $600. From his current PC, he will be salvaging his video card and possibly some memory.

EDIT: And CD R/W drive

So far, I am looking at A64 systems and AXP-M systems, in either the SFF or Micro ATX variety. I'd like to get him something a little bit more upgrade-friendly, so I am leaning towards the A64 route.

For the A64, I was thinking:

A64 2800+
--HSF suggestion? Must fit into a SFF or Micro ATX.
512 Crucial Memory
--suggest a SFF barebones unit or Micro ATX barebone (or simply mobo)
Some hard drive


For the AXP-M system, I was looking at:
--suggest a SFF
XP-M, 2600+, hopefully bump the FSB to 400 MHz
512 Crucial Memory
Some hard drive


Suggestions? Would Micro ATX be his best bet, in your opinion?
 
I would definitely go with thi A64 choice.

I guess the choice of mATX vs SFF will depend on features on price, so you have to pick specific models.

Most SFF cases come with a HSF solution, and you don't have to pick a separate mobo and case, I think it's what I would go with.
 
You can get him an Antec Aria (mATX), which is not much bigger than a shuttle. It is also cheaper depending on what motherboard you get.
 
Back
Top