stress testing

xdviper

Gawd
one of my friends just got top of the line pc..
now he wants to put it thru a BIG PAINFULL stresstest... he told me that you can use 3dmark to stress test for as long as 24hours.... or any other program...
the stresstest needs to stress the grapics card and cpu memory, chipset at the same time like how benchmarking progs work...i've told him about prime95, sisoft, he said no, he wants a program that will stress the pc for 24hours with highest grapics and cpu stress

thank you

The best way to stress test a system is to build up slowly and try and test one sub-system at a time.
My order of programs I use is..........

1. Memtest86. Tests the memory for errors. I run around 3 loops before I install Windozes.
2. Prime95. Test the CPU under full load. 8-24 hours. To find out if the system is stable under full load.
3. 3dMark. After I decide that the system is stable under Prime95, I will add 3dMark test in as well so it stress the vidio card.

I work on the theory that if your system can run Prime95 & 3dMark at the same time for a few hours them it should be stable.

Luck.......... :D

Tigerbiten said:
The best way to stress test a system is to build up slowly and try and test one sub-system at a time.
My order of programs I use is..........

1. Memtest86. Tests the memory for errors. I run around 3 loops before I install Windozes.
2. Prime95. Test the CPU under full load. 8-24 hours. To find out if the system is stable under full load.
3. 3dMark. After I decide that the system is stable under Prime95, I will add 3dMark test in as well so it stress the vidio card.

I work on the theory that if your system can run Prime95 & 3dMark at the same time for a few hours them it should be stable.

Luck.......... :D

...right answer. Systems I build up don't leave until they can run Prime95 / 3DMark at the same time, overnight, without crashing.

Each test, in that order without failure or errors.....then let the burn commence.....:cool:

It should also go without saying that you need to keep an eye on Vcc's / temps while this is running. MoBo monitor / Asus probe / whatever your motherboard has is usually fine for this type of test.

Regards - B.B.S.

Its always a good idea to run Memtest for 8-10+ hours to check out your RAM before you go to install Windows because you may need to do some tweaking to get the RAM stable and if its causing thousands of errors and your getting BSOD's right and left then you stand a good chance at corrupting the Windows install. After you get in windows and install all the latest patches and drivers and service packs and so on then Prime95, OCCT and SuperPI are good for testing CPU/RAM and overall system stability. Then i would run 3dmark01/03/05 to stress the video card.

Stress Testing when I build a server

Memtest 86+ At 24hours. Multiple Tests
Possibly Stresstest Linux
Prime95 Blend Overnight (8-24hours), SuperPI mixed in there
SiSoft Sandra Torture 12hours+
Prime95 Raw CPU+ 3Dmark looping (It's a server so it doesnt matter much, but it does stress the system even more)

A damn good combo is running Prime95 on cpu stress test mode along side 3dmark03 (or later, whatever) in some insane res with full AA etc on. You'll need a registered version of any 3dmark in order to be able to change settings and ultimately, set it to loop indefinitely.

Anyway, with this setup, during the load screen, prime95 will have a few seconds to run a bit and stress the cpu. The rest of the time prime95 will do nothing since it's set to such a low priority. You want to have 3dmark set to 'repeat' the test in 3dmark rather than 'loop' so that it does load each time and thus stresses your memory sub system as well.

Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Back