Stress testing in Linux

ilikecake

Gawd
Hi

I recently put together an HTPC. I used my old Opteron 146 with an SI-128 cooler without a fan. There are two 120mm case fans right next to the heat sink and it seems to cool the CPU fine for idle/mild load conditions. However, I wanted to check how the cooler would perform under full CPU load.

Here’s the catch: I am using Fedora Core 6 for the HTPC. Are there any programs that I can use to fully load my CPU that work in Linux?

The classic stress test for Linux is to compile the kernel - machines believed to be rock solid will wilt if there is anything wrong when compiling the kernel.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, to my (very limited) knowledge, FC6 does not come with the kernel sources, and I have to download them separately. I will give this a shot if I get a chance, but it sounds a lot more difficult than using a stress testing program.

Compile your kernel a few times, I'd say 6, with "-j *" replace * with the number of cores you have plus 1.

If you get a signal 11, you're not stable.

FC6 does not come with the kernel sources but you can just use YUM to get it I believe (I'm a debian/ubuntu person so I just use apt-get :p ).

Back