Stress Testing a SSD?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I have to deploy a SSD for a my uncle tomorrow afternoon. Is there anyway I can quickly stress test a SSD before deploying? Amazon reviews show how some of the Samsung 850 Pro's are DOA, or died within few days to 1-2 weeks, of the ones that failed.

Is there any tool I could use to stress it, or at least a decent benchmark tool I could use before I check the SMART results with CrystalDiskMark?

Thanks!

DiskMark is a benchmarking tool. DiskInfo is the smart info program.

Aida64 trial version maybe or atto disk benchmark. That or just try the speed tests available in the samsung magician software.

Yes, Microsoft's diskspd tool :

You don't want the standard sequential tests from this or any other tool because it would involve large unnecessary writes to the SSD and SSDs love sequential IO anyway. To stress the SSD controller, you do a lot of small, random, concurrent I/O.

With diskspd, you run it like this from an elevated command prompt. First, open Disk Management and note the disk number of the attached SSD, say n. Now run:

Code:
diskspd -d1 #n

This will quickly print results -- look for any line in this format:

Code:
  0 |  345702400 |  5275 |  329.70 |  5275.28 | #0 (223GB)

We just care about the last column - verify that the capacity shown after #n matches what you expect, because WARNING: THE NEXT STEP WILL DESTROY ANY EXISTING DATA ON THE DRIVE!

Code:
diskspd -cXXXG -dTTT -r -w50 -b512 -F16 -o32  #n

Replace the XXX with the capacity shown in GB in the previous step (so that the random I/O locations are chosen from anywhere across the disk), and TTT with the number of seconds you want to run the test (at least 10 minutes/600 is a good number).

What the remaining options mean is: random I/O, 50% writes (i.e. 50% reads), using 512-byte blocks, with 16 total threads (F), up to 32 outstanding operations (i.e. queue) on physical device #n.

On my Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, non-destructive testing (omit the -w50 option) for 120 seconds raised SMART airflow temperature from 27 to 31 degrees.

Best option is to overwrite it 3-4x with a program like iometer (windows) or fio (linux) Then re-read it back with those same apps.

That'll sort out any bad nand pages/erase blocks/chips and you should be good to go after that.

Flash is nice in that it either fails up front, or after a long, predictable life-cycle.

Back