stress testing a dual core CPU?

xappie

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
1,378
Hi all

How do you guys go about stress testing your OC on a dual core system??? I followed the instructions to run multiple instances of prime 95, one on each core, but it only seems to max out one of the cores - the other remains practically unused. Either I am doing something wrong - or this just doesn't work properly with this software.

Any suggestions?
 
you have to set prime95's processor affinity from the shortcut. do a thread search for "processor affinity" and you'll be set.

dave
 
Thanks I'll look into that.

So this is different then setting it through the menu option within prime95?
 
in the version of prime95 i have you can set the "affinity" from the "advanced" menu
 
Ok, thanks guys - got it working now. I had to add "-A0" and "-A1" to the command line - I had "A1" and "A2" before - which didn't work. DUH. :p
 
I am stumped. I've had my 4400+ X2 running at 2.6 for about 7 days now. To test it for stability I've:
- Played hours of Q4 and UT2K4 multiplayer
- Ran through most of FEAR and COD2's singleplayer
- Played online in AOE3 and FFXI
- Encoded hours worth of video
- Ran sandra burn in
- Looped 3DMark05 and PCMark05

..... Basically done everything I possibly could to get this thing to crash with no success. This is a good thing! However, everything is running perfectly except SP2004 / Prime 95. They fail within seconds.

After 7 days of using it, my experience is that my system is 100% stable. But one of the tests we all hold so valuable in determining the stability of our OC's is giving me results contrary to the actual PC's performance.

Any one else ever experience this?
 
it can happen, if your system can run games 24x7 then its stable.
 
Back
Top