Strengthen wireless signal

milkymilk

Weaksauce
How do I strengthen my wireless signal in my network... ok im kinda a noob at this cuz i just got it on saturday... i have wireless g so its 54 mbps but it fluctuates like mad (from 1mbps to 5 to 36 to 48, its never constant) especially cuz the router is downstairs and im upstairs.. is there some kind of hub or something that amplifies the signal where i can put it by the stairs or something?

The first thing you can try is moving the antennas around. It's amazing what small adjustments can do for increasing a signal. Next, you can look into buying better antennas. Omnidirectional would be what you want for use inside your house. What kind of wireless router/access point do you have?

If your client associations are jumping from 1 Mb to 48 Mb then you might have some interference issues, or perhaps some severe multipath problems. Go get netstumber and see if there are any other AP's in your area. You can do this, though very basic, with XP's utility as well. Move the AP away from any corners or butted up against any walls (multipath problems)

sorry for being a noob, but what exactly is multipath?

i have a belkin 54g

I'll try moving the AP around and the Antennas

sorry for being a noob, but what exactly is multipath?

The simple explanation is signals getting to your antenna via multipath paths, bouncing and reflecting off objects in and around the radiation pattern. Just move the AP away from walls, floors or ceilings if possible, especially if you only have one antenna on your AP. Spatial diversity, only with multiple antennas can effectively cancel out most multipath issues.

don't forget to consider the sensitivity levels on your nic. ie cisco and orinoco gold (lucent) are much more sensitive than a linksys. i use the cisco nics and can connect at 11mbps to my linksys access point from anywhere in the house.

regards,
steve

Back