Street Fighter 4 DLC already confirmed...

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
This from escapistmagazine.com:

Street Fighter 4 is getting a whole mess of downloadable content, including extra features and alternate costumes. Some of it's free and some of it's not.

Here's the free: A "Championship Mode expansion pack" that adds a number of features to the game like the ability to record, upload and download matches to share with the Street Fighter IV community. The downloadable pack also includes new Points Systems to "measure your skill" and enhanced matchmaking that helps set beginners and intermediates in tournaments together, while requiring people to earn Grade Points to enter the higher level competitions. That should keep newbies from stumbling into confidence-destroying match-ups against pros while creating an incentive system (who doesn't love collecting points) for them to get better. The expansion pack will be available "post-launch," according to Capcom.

And now the not so free. In a series first, Street Fighter IV will have alternate costumes for each and every character in the game. Some of them are good, some of them are bad, as we've explained already. You'll have to pay for these costumes, but you won't exactly be able to pick and choose which ones you want. No, Capcom is offering the costumes in weekly themed packs that they'll be doling out in the weeks after the game launches. The packs go for 320 Microsoft Points and $3.99 on the PlayStation Store. Here's the schedule and list:

2/17 - Brawler Pack: Zangief, E.Honda, Rufus, El Furete, and Abel.
2/24 - Femme Fatale Pack: Chun-Li, Cammy, Sakura, Rose, and C.Viper.
3/3 - Shoruken Pack: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, and Dan.
3/10 - Shadowloo Pack: Seth, M.Bison, Sagat, Balrog, and Vega.
3/17 - Classic Pack: Guile, Dhalsim, Fei-Long, Blanka, and Gen.

So if you just wanted the Blanka costume, you'd have to wait until the last week, and buy four other costumes along with it too. The real kicker is that while Japan is getting the same weekly costume DLCs, they'll have the option to wait until April and buy an All-In Pack that has every alternate costume available for a value price.

I think this is ridiculous. This reeks of the 'content that should already be on the disc' scam that the vast bulk of DLC has become, and it saddens me to see Capcom jump on the bandwagon. Plus the 'free' content seems to just be a feature that isn't finished yet, so releasing it later will stop the game from being further delayed.

What do you guys think?

I'd argue that this is a way to lower losses due to piracy but costumes aren't really game breaking, just cool to have.

I think a smarter move would have been to release a code in the retail release that would grant the costumes. This is assuming that their intention was anti-piracy.

I think it sucks. I'd hate for Capcom to become like Namco trying to get every last dollar out of you just for silly customizable junk that doesn't add a whole lot to a game

I don't care about costumes, really. Free or not. What I want is SF4 to come out on PC soon!

I'm getting SF4 but I'm not paying a penny for this kind of junk that should be there in the first place.
Capcom is one of my favorite game companies and it saddens me that they're going this route.

The only thing I'm glad is that its costumes only, so you're not missing anything game-wise.

Absolutely ridiculous. $4 per pack for 4 costumes!? Jeez, I miss the good ole days when Valve, Epic, and id released free maps...

Though, Im sure some will be dumb enough to purchase... or some that money doesn't matter to them...

Absolutely ridiculous. $4 per pack for 4 costumes!? Jeez, I miss the good ole days when Valve, Epic, and id released free maps...

Though, Im sure some will be dumb enough to purchase... or some that money doesn't matter to them...

as far as i know Valve is still releasing free updates for their game on STEAM but not on console.

Well I mean, what with the game itself classified already as "downloadable content" <hint, hint> this isn't really news... ;)

True, not everyone's hurtin for $5.

That said, with the game launching into retail channels at $69.99CDN, buying all of the extra 'content' would bring the overall price up to $89.99.

$89.99 for non-CE Street Fighter IV + some costumes that should have been included on that massive BR-D seems really pricey and conniving, especially after they just bilked (I bought the game happily, mind you) hardcore fans out of $14.99 for SSF2THDR. Throw in one of them fancy arcade sticks and the price climbs close to $200 or more.

I'll be picking up the CE on day one, but that DLC and those custom arcade sticks are certainly not on my list of necessities.

Capcom should be ashamed of themselves for advertising DLC rip-offs as a feature. They're lucky it's Street Fighter.

I was lucky enough to pick up one of the standard arcade sticks. Very impressive quality... something I definitely don't find myself saying too often about Madcatz products...

I opened up the stick and found that everything is connected using female B-clips and its fully upgradeable without any soldering!? Madcatz, how do you pull off such a feat?

sf4 will be one of the few games I will actually pay for, mainly b/c I support street fighter

but I'm not paying for any extra costumes, thats some faggoty shit

This is definitely the worst case of DLC-milking since Soul Calibur IV, and possibly even Horse Armour. This is so blatantly content that is done and ready for release, but they've realised they can make some more money if they leave it out and charge for it later, and so they have. It's a slap in the face for the fans in my view, for this to come out a week or two before the game's release. Games are too expensive (in my country, at least) as it is; it's daylight robbery to charge AU$110 for a game, then charge anywhere between AU$20 and AU$30 for 'extra' content on launch day.

This really does make me think twice about buying the game now. I expected better of Capcom.

PS I agree with the suggestion that this stuff be made available free to people who buy the game. Hell, even giving it to those who buy the game 'new' is better than this farce.

but I'm not paying for any extra costumes, thats some faggoty shit

I LOL'ed...

I agree the stuff should have been on the game disc, but i will give them a pass on the additional play feature pack since it's free. They obviously just needed to get it out of the door. I can't be too mad if they use free DLC as a route to get around some development time.

God I hate how they do stuff like that, just put the rest of the damn costumes on the disc and unlock them after you beat the game or something.

This reeks of the 'content that should already be on the disc' scam

It probably is already on the disc. You just pay for an unlock code, as has been done in the past. And yes, it's a load of bullshit.

This is pretty sad considering that SCIV has an awesome full-blown costume and character editor right out of the box, no extra charge.

I'd love to see some other characters added via DLC...but it they aren't on the disk, how would that work online? Are you downloading the other character data for you to play against, but it just won't let you choose them? Pretty weird dynamic, but I'd love to see T. Hawk & DeeJay added.
The downloadable costumes are a waste.
I don't mind the online points system. I can imagine that's server-side to a certain point. Sounds a lot like the Tekken ranking systems...which I kind of hate. Those things encourage people to just choose one character and play like your life depends on winning (tic-throws, etc.) every match instead of actually having fun and playing with Dan and Gen.

I know I'm no help when it comes to these situations, and I'm sorry to be this way, but if the 'Femme Fatale' pack basically ends up being the 'slutty female character costume pack' then I'm totally down.

Yes, I know.

I'm 13.

On Kotaku the devs said that they have T. Hawk's design essentially done and that we could see characters like he and DeeJay added later. I'm still wondering how that dynamic works if the other opponent hasn't paid to unlock them, though.
Considering how powerful Zangief is in SF4, T. Hawk could be scary. Dee Jay's always been a nice Bison/Guile hybrid that's fun to play. With SF4's in-close nature, he could be good too.

Back