Streamzap PC Remote useless in Vista x64

Decibel

2[H]4U
I recently swung by Fry's, Disneyland for geeks, and returned home with a $30 piece of worthless plastic. I purchased a Streamzap PC Remote.

The packaging clearly states:
Windows98, 98SE, Me, 2000 or Windows XP (Home, Pro or Media Center Edition) or Windows Vista (any edition)

Apparently I put too much stock into that bit where it says "Any Edition." When I read the word "any," I think, well... Any. The software installs, but the drivers won't work with the IR receiver.

Their website states
Please note that we currently support only 32-bit Windows operating systems. We hope to provide support for 64-bit operating systems in the future.

It sure would be nice if their box said the same thing...

If you're running Vista or XP x64, save yourself some time, buy another remote.

Off to Fry's...

What do you expect? You're the one running an OS that has tons of compatibility issues. These kinds of issues are well know to anyone who's built an HTPC.

i have a streamzap that I had running on XP but it didnt work in VMC correctly.... maybe ill have to try again.

What do you expect? You're the one running an OS that has tons of compatibility issues. These kinds of issues are well know to anyone who's built an HTPC.

The OS doesn't have tons of compatibility issues. You may run into some issues with x64 drivers but companies are supposed to release vista x64 drivers when they release x32 drivers. This is actually the first case I have run across that isn't true.

With an x64 OS you need x64 drivers. Most apps, even 32bit work fine, but for drivers you need the hardware vendor to release those updated drivers. But at least they say they hope to support it in the future.
x64 support for HTPC is there. There are x64 codecs for just about everything and it includes HA. FFDshow has x64 versions. You can run ac3filter on x64. There are also MPC-HC x64 codecs.
If you have an app you want to run and it doesn't have a version you need then take it up with them. Most apps work right off the bat. Others need upgraded versions. It's up to the software developer to release those versions.

Personally I use a logitech harmony remote and it works great.

i have seen some issues with x64 that have kept me from migration.....

specifically HTPC apps:

webguide
there have been issues with 64bit and .mkv files also
and many of the alpha/beta apps at The Green Button are first developed for 32-bit.... i use the netflix plugin and it had issues with 64, might still im not sure...

I would love to get the performance boost and use all 4gb of my RAM but right now it would cause more headaches than it would help...

JMO, and i am sure it works fine for what you have and are doing....

What did I expect? I expected Streamzap to label their products appropriately. Funny how that was the point of the first post huh?

Furthermore - when was the last time you used Vista x64? It's stable, robust and full featured. Define "tons." The current Vista x64 experience is nothing like 64 bit XP or even what Vista was just after launch. Unfortunately there are still a few companies out there that have abandoned their products, but mostly everything just works. Even some stuff that has been abandoned. Like my Linksys wireless nic.

Your imperious attitude is unecessary. I was just giving a heads up to people before they run to the store; thought it might be nice to point out that "Any" doesn't always mean "Any."

Addidas, as Archer has said, the Vista Codec Pack has a 64 bit package that handles .mkvs nicely.

Thanks Archer, you've answered two of the bits of misinformation that seemed to have landed in this thread.

Back