Streaming video

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
My tv tuner is in the main desktop rig connected to my cable tv.

I'm wondering if there was a way for me to stream it over wifi and display it on my netbook when i'm moving around the house (ex. while doing something in the kitchen).

Would also be great if i can also do it with DVD or blueray. Anime video's can take as much as 25% of my E7200 CPU so maybe i can have the desktop do the work, then stream it over to the netbook. I can't exactly do file conversions coz the subtitles, languages and codecs rarely survive a re-encoding.

EDIT: For comparison, TV quality DivX video's only use 1-2% cpu. MP4 video's take up 0%. Those, the netbook can still handle.

I can't get it to work. The documentation is for a different version.

At the menu click Media/Streaming

At the File tab, i select the video and click the stream button.

In the Stream Output dialog, i click "RTP" and "Prefer UDP over RTP" and put in the address of the netbook. Port 1234

Under Profile, i select "Windows (wmv/asf)"

Finally, i click the Stream button.

VLC then plays the video.

At the netbook i click "Media/Open Network"

at the Network tab i set the protocol to UDP and the ip of the server:port 1234

When i try to start it tho, i get an error

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'udp://@192.168.1.103:1234'.

Tried some browsing, apparently they had to downgrade to 8.6 to get streaming to work. Do i have to do the same?

Well, 0.8.6 does work. Can't seem to stream some video's tho.

Forgot to update. I've got all the video's working now. I found a settings that works 100% of the time. Only thing missing now is that i don't know how to setup the TV tuner for it. Ah well, i'll figure it out sooner or later :)

Forgot to update. I've got all the video's working now. I found a settings that works 100% of the time. Only thing missing now is that i don't know how to setup the TV tuner for it. Ah well, i'll figure it out sooner or later :)

Hey, sorry for the thread nekro'ing, but care to share this setting with the rest of us?

I am just about fed up with the dud that the latest VLC (0.9.9) is. What a bad bad GUI, support, and wiki which is obsolete. Trying to set up streaming is a pain- googling for obsolete guides and advice - I am getting the same "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'udp://" error. So I am just going to downgrade to 0.8.6 but I was also wondering what the miracle setting you used on it was.

Thanks!

Back