Streaming video using CPU not GPU

I'm using an Nvidia 7600gs on a Foxconn 939 mobo and when i stream some videos online, the Cpu is doing all the work and the Gpu is idle The quality is clearly lacking. Can someone help me find the setting to force this? I cant find it in the Nvidia settings.

TIA

You need the latest Flash player (10.2) and up to date NVIDIA drivers. Then on any flash animation/video you can right click and choose the setting for "hardware acceleration".

Isn't the 8600gt the first nvidia card with video acceleration?

And the 8800 had none actually... i could swear it was like that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2213/3

Well i wasn't entirely right, but yeah, the hardware assist for the 7 series is minimal.

Edit to add:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

1st generation it was mostly MPEG2, and that is what a Geforce 7 series card will have.

Last edited:
I've ran with GPU acceleration on and off and can never tell a difference so I wouldn't sweat it.

You need a more modern GPU. However, since you are still on 939, I'd strongly consider a new CPU/mobo as well.

Isn't the 8600gt the first nvidia card with video acceleration?

And the 8800 had none actually... i could swear it was like that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2213/3

Well i wasn't entirely right, but yeah, the hardware assist for the 7 series is minimal.

Edit to add:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

1st generation it was mostly MPEG2, and that is what a Geforce 7 series card will have.

8800/GS/GT/GTS 512mb were the first true full hardware accel cards. the G80 gpu only supported mpeg2 and AVC-1 hardware acceleration. and previous to that it was just mpeg2 with the 7 series but really never worked.

I'm using an Nvidia 7600gs on a Foxconn 939 mobo and when i stream some videos online, the Cpu is doing all the work and the Gpu is idle The quality is clearly lacking. Can someone help me find the setting to force this? I cant find it in the Nvidia settings.

TIA

as far as quality goes it won't be any different between cpu acceration and hardware acceleration. only difference is what hardware is being used. if the video is stuttering or skipping then flash is trying to run hardware acceleration even though your card doesn't support it.

8800/GS/GT/GTS 512mb were the first true full hardware accel cards. the G80 gpu only supported mpeg2 and AVC-1 hardware acceleration. and previous to that it was just mpeg2 with the 7 series but really never worked.

8600GT/g86 came before g92 and worked as well.

You need the latest Flash player (10.2) and up to date NVIDIA drivers. Then on any flash animation/video you can right click and choose the setting for "hardware acceleration".

He needs a Series 8 or above graphics card for the GPU to decode Flash properly. ;)

Yup, which means most videos he encounters online won't be GPU accelerated.

Time for a new video card!

You are correct about the PureVideo1 vs PureVideo2, and the fact that he needs a new card, but the fact is is that the GPU architecture of the Series 7 cards were not capable of processing Flash. The Series 8 and above, which use CUDA (SP units) can decode Flash.

If the OP were streaming MPEG or H.264-encoded videos, you would have been spot-on. ;)

Also, the main difference for the GPU vs CPU decoding isn't necessarily quality when it comes to Flash, it just allows the GPU to decode and frees up the CPU.

Honestly, no difference would be seen with a modern dual or quad core CPU vs a GPU when it comes to Flash as both can process it very easily.

The Series 8 and above, which use CUDA (SP units) can decode Flash.

Flash doesn't use CUDA. Neither the SP units nor CUDA has anything to do with this (unless that is how Nvidia decided to implement PureVideo, of course, but Flash doesn't care about either). The hardware video decoders are what Flash uses for video playback, which is also why the 8800GTX won't help despite supporting CUDA - it's missing the upgraded video decoder.

But yeah, if his CPU is fast enough then it doesn't matter much (unless he wants his CPU for something else as well)

Flash doesn't use CUDA. Neither the SP units nor CUDA has anything to do with this (unless that is how Nvidia decided to implement PureVideo, of course, but Flash doesn't care about either). The hardware video decoders are what Flash uses for video playback, which is also why the 8800GTX won't help despite supporting CUDA - it's missing the upgraded video decoder.

You're right, and I found out it's because flash is using H.264 encoding.

Would this mean that it is also supported on AMD GPUs?

Last edited:
Back