Streaming video buffers but won't play - driving me crazy

I know this isn't the prefect venue for this type of question, but I'm not active on any other better suited forums.

I've been having an issue with streaming video that's driving me crazy. It has followed me (on the same build) from Windows 7 to Windows 10, although in 10 it's gotten worse.

When I press play, the video will buffer, but it won't start playing. If I scrub through the timeline, I can see the individual frames (so data is reaching my computer, it really is buffering), but it still won't play.

This behavior is consistent across multiple websites (youtube, vimeo, flickr, dailymotion) and with multiple playback software HTML5 & Flash behave the same. Proof since I wouldn't believe me if I said this either:

This problem is also occurs on all browsers, although the behavior varies a bit. On Firefox and Chrome, the video doesn't play. I can scrub through the timeline and see the frames, but nothing will make the video play. On IE, the video plays at about 3fps without sound, but will not play normally.

To solve the issue I have to reboot then everything works fine. If I leave the computer for some indeterminate about of time, it will be broken again. My computer is set to never go to sleep and to never hibernate. The only power save option turned on is turning off the monitors after 20 min. See sig for specs (it's the top one, main rig).

Can you reproduce the problem by turning the monitor off, waiting a bit, then turning it back on? Does turning the monitor off then on again fix the problem?

Try reducing the monitor power save option to be very short, say 1 minute, so you can test whether it is the monitor being in a sleep mode (as opposed to being powered off) that causes the problem.

Finally, what monitor is it, which port in your GTX 780 is it plugged into, what cable are you using, and are there any adapters in use?

Does mobile YouTube on your smartphone do the same thing out of curiosity?

Both really good questions that I did not think to test. Just a note, it happened again right when I was first reading these posts and a reboot fixed the issue as usual. It's very predictable, except I don't know exactly how long it takes to set in or what is happening when it starts.

A couple other strange bugs I'm experiencing that might be related. (1) My external USB DAC (Tascam US-144mkII) occasionally fails to be recolonized and I have to plug/replug the USB cable to get it to work again. (2) Teamspeak 3 client will become unresponsive and I am unable to interact with it until rebooting Windows (it freezes every time I try to do anything in the window even after restarting the application).

Additional info: Computer is hardwired to network, hard drive spin-down is disabled, sleep & hibernate disabled, PCI Express Link Sate Power Management is on "moderate" (default)

Can you reproduce the problem by turning the monitor off, waiting a bit, then turning it back on? Does turning the monitor off then on again fix the problem?

Try reducing the monitor power save option to be very short, say 1 minute, so you can test whether it is the monitor being in a sleep mode (as opposed to being powered off) that causes the problem.

Finally, what monitor is it, which port in your GTX 780 is it plugged into, what cable are you using, and are there any adapters in use?

I can not replicate by turning off and then on the monitors. I also can't replicate by setting power save to 1 min, allowing the monitors to be automatically turned off and then waking them up after a few minutes.

Monitors (Plugged into the two Dual Link DVI ports):
#1 - Qnix QX2710 @ 120hz
#2 - Qnix QX2700 @ 60hz

Does mobile YouTube on your smartphone do the same thing out of curiosity?

Once the problem starts, I am not able to replicate the issue on either my laptop (Win8), my tablet (Android), or my phone (iPhone).

Monitors (Plugged into the two Dual Link DVI ports):
#1 - Qnix QX2710 @ 120hz
#2 - Qnix QX2700 @ 60hz

That you are running two monitors at different Hz is getting my attention but I don't know a good reason why. Can you run the 2710 at 60Hz and see if the problem goes away? Which monitor are you playing the video on? Does the problem not happen if you watch the videos on the other monitor? Does switching the monitors around (so the 2710 is #2, plugged into the other slot than it is now) do anything?

Have you tried a clean install of Windows 10?

Sounds to me like something is screwed up that may not be easy to fix without a wipe and reinstall.

I personally don't see how the different refresh rates of the monitors could be causing an issue, but I guess it is a possible driver bug.

What version of the video card drivers are you using?

Have you disabled auto driver updates from Microsoft yet?

Control Panel-->System-->Advanced Settings-->Hardware-->Device Installation Settings

That you are running two monitors at different Hz is getting my attention but I don't know a good reason why. Can you run the 2710 at 60Hz and see if the problem goes away? Which monitor are you playing the video on? Does the problem not happen if you watch the videos on the other monitor? Does switching the monitors around (so the 2710 is #2, plugged into the other slot than it is now) do anything?

I can try that for sure when I get home, but I'm not sure it'll help. I've had the monitor overclocked for longer than I've had the issue. Same problem on both monitors, neither will play.

Have you tried a clean install of Windows 10?

Sounds to me like something is screwed up that may not be easy to fix without a wipe and reinstall.

I personally don't see how the different refresh rates of the monitors could be causing an issue, but I guess it is a possible driver bug.

What version of the video card drivers are you using?

Have you disabled auto driver updates from Microsoft yet?

Control Panel-->System-->Advanced Settings-->Hardware-->Device Installation Settings

This is a "clean" install of Win10. I fully wiped my old Win7 setup, reinstalled 7 and then did an upgrade (it was the only way to install 10 at the time). I could try again but that's a serious pain in the ass.

I updated my video drivers after creating this thread yesterday and saw no difference in behavior.

I have not disabled auto driver updates. Is this something I should do?

Yes, you should disable driver update. It has a bad habit of installing older drivers after you have manually installed newer drivers.

I guess it could possibly be something wring with your NIC. Do you have a spare network card laying around?

Could also be something with your router or switch. Try hooking directly up to your modem and see if it makes a difference.

I have same issue. I change by browser but not solved. Then i talk my ISP, they said restart your compute, it will be solved. I restart it, clear all browser caches, but not solved. Then i change my DND server to Google DNS servers and it get solved.

Hey man, have you found any solution yet??
I am so DAMN desperated. I've tried everything!!! Clean cache, look for viruses, update drivers, disable extensions, disable plugins, disable flash, uninstall flash, install flash, disable HTML5, try Mozilla Firefox, try IE, try google's 2001:4860:4860::8888/8844 DNS, clean the temp folder, reboot after reboot, change both Intel HD Graphics and AMD definitions, disable hardware acceleration, and so on, etc etc.

I also looked everywhere for someone with the same problem and it just doesn't exist!!

My problem is that I am watching series on streaming sites or just watching videos on facebook. And then... just for changing to another page, pausing the video and changing tabs. It's enough to block videos.
For example, I am watching ep. 10 of Lost. Someone talks to me on facebook. I pause the video, go anwser the person and come back to the video. Most times it is stuck. The 'play' button is pressed, but the video won't resume. If I go back to facebook, all videos are stuck from now on. They buffer but won't start. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!

Back