Streaming tv killed/is trying to kill my video cards

FireStormGS

[H]ard|Gawd
Last week I was watching a southpark episode from their site and my screen artifacted and locked the computer. It continued to do this while posting and the card is now pretty much dead.

I got a replacement hd4850 this week and last night while watching streaming flash tv my monitor went into standby and I couldnt get a response from the computer. I had the side panel off at the time and noticed a red light on the back of the video card. Looking this up says it's either a temperature overheat or +12v power loss. After rebooting the computer and watching the video temp when I started the tv stream up again noticed that it climb to 45c.

Why the crap is streaming tv so taxing on the card? Is there some option in the ati ccc where the card is doing its best to make the blurry streaming tv look good?

How is it that you've been here 8.5 years and you haven't picked up that 45c isn't hot for a card? That's an idle temp. Sounds like you may have a bad PSU damaging your cards.

right click Flash video > Settings > uncheck "Enable Hardware Acceleration"

45C isn't hot at all for a video card and I agree that the PSU should be looked at

The card is idling at 32c apparently so 45 would be a significant jump. I also doubt that's what the temperature actually is seeing as the computer locks up. If it is even a temp problem... who knows. Seems limited to playing flash video though as it's never happened in a game.

It's not streaming tv, it's only Southpark that is killing your video card...

Respect South Park's AUTH-OR-ITAAAY!!!!

But seriously, I really doubt it's streaming video or the Southpark Studios site that's killing your GPU. All streaming flash video is pretty resource-intensive. I've seen it occasionally crash browsers before, and on blue moons, sometimes even the OS. But killing a card is something I've never seen or heard.

First card was probly on its way out and mr hankey was the last straw, replacement card was most likely fresh from the reflow oven and was mr hankey. Maybe you can get a new one on the third rma, what brand is it?

I'm almost certain your PSU is killing your GPU, not heat.

45C is actually COLD for a stock HD4850. When they first came out with the single slot coolers, the fan speeds were set too low on many of them (depending on how the OEM set up the video bios) and the temps would easily get up to 90-100C under load. Even 100C didn't kill these video cards.

Also, streaming flash video relies on the CPU for decode purposes, not the GPU. Only the latest flash version (10.1 beta?) offloads some of the work to the GPU. So other than drawing the actual video onto the screen, the GPU is doing next to nothing.

Temps don't change with the hardware acceleration turned off, so just see if it happens again I guess.

And you guys were right about the temperature as supreme commander gets it up to 60c without problems.

Back