streaming problems from windows home server

lonchaney

n00b
I built a server to store all my movies/tv shows on and am running windows home server. I can copy files from my server to my main computer (running xp sp3), which also runs xbmc, at good speeds. When trying to watch HD movies/tv shows there are times when the picture messes up (hard to explain the problem, looks like giant pixels are showing up on the screen) and the network activity when watching shows/movies spikes up and down. I've attached pics to show you what I'm talking about.

the server is using this mobo http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128395&Tpk=GA-MA785G-UD3H
and my main computer is using a bfg 680i sli mobo

i have them both hooked up to a dir-655 router with cat6 cables.

when copying files
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5453/copyingfile.jpg

when watching media over xbmc
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2748/streamingmedia.jpg

i know the problem isn't with xbmc since i get the same issue when watching hd movies with vlc...also i know it must be a network problems since watching the same movies locally works fine.

any help would be appreciated

I've been having the same kind of problems recently (I know exactly what you're saying about the "big pixels"), and I'm pretty sure it's the network. What speed is the LAN and what else are you doing with it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

What do you consider "good speeds"?

well 30MB/s i guess is what i get usually

I've been having the same kind of problems recently (I know exactly what you're saying about the "big pixels"), and I'm pretty sure it's the network. What speed is the LAN and what else are you doing with it.

everything has a gigabit connection if that's what you're asking. when i watch movies i'm usually not doing anything else. sometimes i'm dling stuff but i mean that's at like 500kb/s.

Downloading, regardless of the speed it is, can produce the problem your describing. Especially if its a torrent.

However, try using MPC-HC or Windows Media Player and see what happens.

Downloading, regardless of the speed it is, can produce the problem your describing. Especially if its a torrent.

However, try using MPC-HC or Windows Media Player and see what happens.

the problem is still there even when i'm not dling though. i'll try MPC when i get home from work tonight. would different media players use the network differently? like different buffer sizes or something?

If your using Haali Media Splitter for MKV files, you can change the buffer size in the options (Properties->Options->Input->Input Buffer Size), its normally set to 8192 (8Meg). On wireless PC's i set it at 200MB, that way once the buffer fills up, it can take a lot of streaming/wireless issues, before i start to notice a dropped frame.

using MPC actually is worse than vlc and xbmc...i haven't tried haali media splitter cause i'm not sure it'll even work as an external player with xbmc and if it doesn't then i wouldn't want to use it.

anyone else have any more suggestions?

Back