Streaming media from WHS?

jdraughn

Limp Gawd
Just got Windows Home Server going and am trying to figure out how to stream my media through the internet (not network). I saw a couple of addons, sagetv and Webguide 4, but had trouble getting either one to stream media. Mainly due to total lack of instructions or documentation on both addons.

I have a https://myname.homeserver.com domain, and I can download files, but my laptop OS, Vista Premium just starts downloading it to a temp folder rather then streaming it via VLC or Windows Media Player.

I would like to stream MKV and Xvid files. Streaming my MP3s would be nice too, but I could stick a few gigs worth on my notebook at a time, so thats not a big deal.

I stream my MKV and Xvid files from my windows home server with Pytivo to my Tivo HD and it works flawlessly
Check out Pytivo or Tivo Publisher for WHS

One of the requirements listed on Pytivo is a Tivo box. I don't have a tivo box, I have Windows Media Center or VLC or Windows Media Player. Do you know if that would still work?

I have tried to use Webguide 4, successfully installed it and was streaming media. the only set back i had was that it was quite slow, and you had to pay for it after about 15 days or so. Anyways, I went on to trying to figure out why it was going so slow and i found out that many people are having that problem. I only get about 200kb...max download speeds from across the internet to my whs box. Even though comcast says im getting about 5mb up... and when i go onto speedtest.net i only get about 2mb up witch still does not explain why i am only getting 200kb... anyway I just wanted to let you know if you end up getting it to work and you get decent speeds let me know =)

Back