Streaming Is on a Collision Course with ISP Data Caps

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Dec 2, 2018.

1. lightsout

lightsout Gawd

omegatotal likes this.
  2. maxz01

maxz01 Limp Gawd

20 years of internet usage, never had data caps, always fast and reliable internet cheaply. Nice to live in the ivory tower that is Finland.

3. McCartney

McCartney Gawd

([Clan] Camp)bell?

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Well gee look at that, competition translates to not gouging customers for bullshit expenses.

Wierdo likes this.
  5. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

McCartney likes this.
  6. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

Yup, free market, working as intended.

7. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

Do you only download like 2 games/month to a single pc? I think Shadow of War was 112GB ...and I have several games 40GB+

omegatotal likes this.
  8. /dev/null

My 50% off discounted comcast business @ 20/150 is about CAD $160/mo. That is already discounted 50%. My other option is like 1 up, 8 down DSL. LOL.

9. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

Damn bro that is rough!

10. /dev/null

Until I redid my contract I was off contract at 50 down 10 up at about $10 US more than that. Once you add in my static ips, it's just under $200 CAD/mo.

Makaveli@BETA likes this.
  11. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Just spitballing here:

Games are 100gb each now. Limited console storage means many people delete and redownload regularly. Could be called the SSD shuffle? Also removing and reinstalling is a common troubleshooting technicque. New games are prone complications.

Some people do collection upgrades always trying to get the ideal version of a series. So say Avatar maybe you had an h264 480p copy then you upgraded to a newly released 720p h264, then a month later you find a 1080p h265. Now you've downloaded whole series 3times and not watched it once.

Or you redownload all of an Anime series you already have because you find one with dual audio or subtitles from a different group you prefer.

There are also a lot of re-mastering of say original star wars trilogy or Lord of the rings. Tweaked for color and quality. Often fixing problems that made it into bluray release like happened with LOTR.

That's just me, I've got 5 other people with bv tablets, phones, consoles, and computers. Really ups family home stress when you are always fighting over bandwidth useage.

12. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Netflix 4k uses h265 which requires half bandwidth of Amazon's 4k which uses h264.

lostin3d likes this.
  13. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

How dare you sir!

Everyone on the internet knows only regulation or competition is the answer. Yet here you casually BTFO of that comforting simple binary option by suggesting something that adapts to the situation?

For shame.

Good day sir.
    Good day.

14. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

I hear they have more internet out californi-way.

15. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

No, I was being conservative there. I have two rigs in different rooms(2600k/1080TI 14440p & 4930k/2080TI 4k) that get regularly used so that number is probably much higher. I've also got a MSI Titan(980m SLI 1080p) laptop that I occasionally update new games too as a travel back up.

16. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Makes sense. I've noticed that Amazon takes a bit longer to switch over to 4k(some nights it really seems to struggle even when no one else in the house is using anything) while you can practically hold your breath for NetFlix. My newest t.v.(Sony Z9D) shows Netflix as streaming 15.26Mbits even in DolbyVision. I haven't really checked Amazon so much yet.

17. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

I can understand why tv providers are being on the defense about all of this. Pushing for ridiculous data price points(Pay per use) to data caps, laws, etc.

But hey, your technology is old school now to the main consumer. Either adapt, or move to the side for the new guys. No need to be a prick and not let others push out amazing products and ideas if you won't be the one to do so.

18. BladeDancer314

BladeDancer314 [H]Lite

Bingo!

19. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

No data cap when you're homeless and using Google's campus wifi. ;-)

omegatotal and joobjoob like this.
  20. idiomatic

idiomatic n00b

Like I said, the US couldn't build a free market with both hands and a map.

New Zealand switched to regulated last mile fibre and now we have gigabit rolling out all over the show and shit tonnes of ISP's cropping up, like back in the ole 56k days. The local utility isn't allowed to pick winners or losers. How hard a concept is this?

clockdogg likes this.
  21. BlueFireIce

BlueFireIce [H]ardness Supreme

Last mile in the US is fully regulated and owned by the government, how hard is that to understand? Not sure how you add more regulation than that. Keep in mind once this happened, innovation, speed gains and price drops slowed to a crawl. Not even getting into factors such as size of land mass to cover, where New Zealand is less than half the size of Texas alone.

22. Geno750

Geno750 Gawd

My affinity for linux distro's and the number of friends and family on my Plex server has my monthly data usage north of 3TB. So I'm making the most of the $50/month I have to give comcast to not worry about data caps.

omegatotal likes this.
  23. McCartney

McCartney Gawd

24. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

You don't seem to understand that the regulations in the US created the monopolies we currently face. Regulations by the people = people win. Corporate backed regulations (the ones in the US) = people lose.

doublejack likes this.
  25. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

What I have found is that most people simply do not understand much of anything their government does.

Makaveli@BETA likes this.
  26. omegatotal

omegatotal Gawd

Right now. with all the other ISP's and such that SHARTer has been buying, I wouldn't be surprised if their rectum, err, spectrum services get clearly defined data usage and BW caps.

27. omegatotal

omegatotal Gawd

AND you cant stay grandfathered into any old plans, any single change to your service requires a complete migration to the newer SHARTer plans, including a simple change of address as close as next door (apartment for example) will cause a complete account migration.

28. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

Very true.