Streaming FTP media files?

SedoSan

Limp Gawd
Hello all, wasn't sure where's the most appropriate forum to ask this in.

I've set up an FTP on my media server so I can access it from outside. I tried accessing the server from chrome browser and to my surprise I was able to stream almost all my files directly by chrome browser player?...

One problem though, I don't get to choose to turn on subtitles nor to choose which audio track I want, and most of the time there is no sound (i believe audio codec missing).

Now my question is, from my android phone, I can stream anything from the ftp server (using ES Browser) and I get all the options to do so! (subtitles, audio, sound is there, etc...)

The thing is for my PC (windows) I wasn't successful until now to find a media player program that manages to stream from an FTP source?? I've tried VLC with no luck.

Any ideas guys? :)

Last edited:
Why FTP?

Why not just use standard SMB shares? Es explorer will still see them when you are on the LAN, and if you set up a simple VPN es explorer will still see them WAN side, with the added benefit of the whole thing being more secure by way of the VPN.

VLC will also stream locally and over the VPN.

Opening/forwarding ports works but opening up ports to your WAN, generally, is not so good of an idea.

If whatever router you use can run openvpn, do it! The openvpn client for android just works! As does the windows client.

Even if it means flashing a non stock firmware, just to get the Von functionality, it's worth it. IMO anyway.

I already have a VPN set up but I found it much smooth streaming a file over FTP using google's chrome, (takes less than 1 second to start streaming a 1080p episode! and it runs it thoughout the whole video lagless)
however when I connect by VPN, it becomes laggy and cuts every 2 seconds =\ (I'm using VPN at college via TCP port 443~ (so ftp is a better experience for me at least).

I've heard VLC have problems streaming content from FTP that has a username and password...

Last edited:
Plex is the best ever.
Although the media player client for windows is kinda buggy sometimes. When stopping a show and then going to the next episode, it will hang endlessly until I force close it and re-open it sometimes.
The Android client is really good for streaming video. If they update the music player portion, it would remove the need to carry around all my songs on the phone. It will play music now, but it is extremely limited compared to even the stock android player.

Plex is the best ever.
Although the media player client for windows is kinda buggy sometimes. When stopping a show and then going to the next episode, it will hang endlessly until I force close it and re-open it sometimes.
The Android client is really good for streaming video. If they update the music player portion, it would remove the need to carry around all my songs on the phone. It will play music now, but it is extremely limited compared to even the stock android player.

Love the remote control feature for other player on my phone :) USe Rasplex around house.

XBMC, does everything you want and so much more. Runs on almost every platform, including your phone.

Back