Streaming from an external Drive & other things

Adm0n

n00b
Hi [H]ard|Forum.

I'm a n00b at networking, and was hoping I could get some help in setting up an external hard drive as a sort of "mini" NAS.

The HD is attatched to a desktop that's pretty much always on & connected to my wifi network.

I'd like to store videos, pictures and music on it, that I can stream to my PS3 and laptop. Also I'd like to be able to access/sync with this media on my Android phone over wifi.

If anyone knows if/how this would be possible, your advice would be really appreciated.

You can do this somewhat using OpenWRT on a compatible router, there are some limitations depending on how much flash memory your device have.
//Danne

Just basic sharing can get you access to the storage device. Setup a share on the computer and map it to other computers.

Going to be a bit more involved to do it for PS3 and phones though.

Hi [H]ard|Forum.

I'm a n00b at networking, and was hoping I could get some help in setting up an external hard drive as a sort of "mini" NAS.

The HD is attatched to a desktop that's pretty much always on & connected to my wifi network.

I'd like to store videos, pictures and music on it, that I can stream to my PS3 and laptop. Also I'd like to be able to access/sync with this media on my Android phone over wifi.

If anyone knows if/how this would be possible, your advice would be really appreciated.

Plex can do this - https://plex.tv/

Back