Streaming Display question

SirViro

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi! I'm not sure this is the proper place to post this, but I'm trying my best.

The problem I'm having is for a LAN party. We have 2 projectors and 3 computers. What I want to do is display what is on the computer without a projector onto the 2 that do have projectors.

I was thinking of some sort of streaming video, but I have no clue on how to attempt this.
Any ideas or comments would be most welcome!

Visual Aide:

projectorprob.JPG

i'm pretty sure streaming video will be tough to pull off through ethernet unless you're running at pretty low resolutions. However, if you wanna try figuring it out. Chromium ( chromium.sourceforge.net ) is a free program to render stuff to external cpus/displays. I use this at work to drive a 12 computer cluster on 12 projectors, so i'm sure you could use it to get the image from the one comp onto the 12 comps/projectors in your setup.
2 problems though:
1. this all happens on one screen only, so if you're sending the info to the projectors, you're left with a black screen on the host comp.
2. i'm not sure how your framerates will fare through ethernet. I'm using Myrinet (super expensive, though dated, proprietary networking system) running at 1.2Gbps and I'm still trying to optimize code to get things rendered fast enough on the display wall I work on. Of course you'll be doing this on 1 or 2 screens (i'm assuming that you'll probably want a different game on each projector, not a tile display of one screen across both) instead of 12...your mileage may vary.

*EDIT*: if you're not familiar with cygwin or *nix, be prepared to spend quite a while figuring out how to get everything working. I started working on installing this a month ago with no linux exprience at all (i'm running on a linux cluster), and it took me almost a week (of full workdays) before i could get something useable.

Back