Streaming Audio PC to Stereo

Mavsfan

Weaksauce
Hi all, this question has been asked before, but want to get a fresh perspective on this. I am getting an optical audio cable coming in, I plan on connecting my main pc to my stereo, Denon 1712 and play all music via this cable. Do you think this is the best route to take? I have the Apple TV, but for some reason it does not recognize my PC only my mac laptop...

If you're using your pc far away from your stereo system, they I suggest using bluetooth or airplay. If you have your stereo system close by then use opitcal or coaxial.

I have streamed wirelessly and wired, but the best sound is using wired connection. Airplay is still quite good, but you might be restricted to using iTunes that can only play mp3 or aac. You can use Airfoil with other media players, but it is pain to get everything working correctly. If you decide to use Airplay, I suggest the Onkyo DS-A5 dock, which I have used and it is buy far the best sounding ipod dock I have ever used. It comes with airplay, ethernet, optical out, remote, etc. I haven't used any bluetooth devices, but airplay should sound the best for wireless streaming.

Cheapest route is probably using optical or coax with onboard sound. In terms of sound, I prefer coax over optical. Optical can sound bright, harsh, and clinical. Coax has much body, warmth, and has tighter connection. You can run a long cable from your pc to your stereo, but it can look ugly. Really up to you.

Yeah, the restriction with iTunes is not bad, but not all my music is bought on iTunes. I want the highest quality of sound possible. The PC itself is about 10 feet away. I bought an optical cable online and waiting for the outcome of that. I would suspect the Denon dock would be great, but the cost doesnt justify using this one receiver, I would rather get another receiver with an ethernet port for the same price.

I am hoping your wrong with the cable, but I am already looking at the USB to coaxial adapters if this doesnt work.

In terms of sound, I refer coax over optical. Optical can sound bright, harsh, and clinical. Coax has much body, warmth, and has tighter connection.

I am hoping your wrong with the cable, but I am already looking at the USB to coaxial adapters if this doesnt work.

He is either making a joke or is functionally deficient in a number of ways. Ignore the comments about different digital cables sounding different.

Back