Streaming 1080p files using wall sockets with Devolo-dLAN-500

Moiee

Weaksauce
I recently bought a Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple to enhance the speed of streaming from my computer to my xbox/popcorn hour/Apple TV and other devices wirelessly. It does it by using your wall sockets and using the electricity to distribute the bandwidth around.

However, I cannot get 1080p mkv files to stream properly through to the Popcorn Hour using this method. They are jerky and slow after about of minute playing them. Everything else plays fine including 720p mkvs's and any other files types.

I thought buying the Devolo dLAN would be more than enough to stream even 1080p to a device using the wall sockets? as its 500mbps. I'm on a 30mb itnernet connection (which is about 3meg per second). But this shouldn't matter as its not using the internet to stream this way anyway.

I've got it set up correctly as its plugged directly into the wall with nothing else attached to it apart from the ethernet cable going to the computer upstairs from the devolo and the downstairs ones going to the devices from the second devolo plug. Is it the quality of the ethernet cables or something?

I've tried it on files that are on internal hdd on computer and external hdd's and get the same problem with 1080p mkv files.

Is there anything I can do to improve the connection somehow or cant the Devolo stream 1080p files like this?

In the software for this device it says its just using about 130Mbits/s going to and from the Devolo plugs. Shouldn't it be 500Mbits/s as advertised?

Last edited:
Back