• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stranglehold: Underrated & Long-Awaited

TheDepths

n00b
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Messages
34
Since there's so much discussion about so many other huge titles and not much on other games, though I'd bring this one up.

I feel that Stranglehold is seriously underrated by many, which is funny, due to the fact that it's offering something that (honestly) so many have been waiting for since the dawn of this type of gaming: an intense shoot-'em-up action game where everything is truly destructible.

There have been games that offer some destructible environments, but nothing to this degree and honestly, it looks really fantastic.

While there are always the "nay-sayers" and "nit-pickers", the truth of the matter is that one of the first questions countless people ask when a new FPS/TPS is released is, "Are the environments destructible and, if so, how much!?". :D

Instead of comparing it to anything else (which I don't particularly like doing anyway) just look at it for what it is and has to offer which, for a TPS that was though to be nothing more than a "novelty" at first with it's environmental destructibility, is actually turning out to offer some truly fun, intense and open-ended gameplay.

The stunts you can pull off, and in the midst of all the surrounding chaos of massive destruction and even the level design, look like they all shaped-up to be something truly great.

Going along with the above statement about how many always want destructible environments as well, it's going to be extremely cathartic as well!

Get in an argument with the wife? Pissed-off at your boss or next-door neighbor to the point of loading your guns? Fire-up Stranglehold and destroy everything in site! LOL ;)

Seriously though... there's no denying that, certainly, it's no Crysis, but I think there are far more out there who have to seriously admit that this is a particular creation many of us all been waiting for, done "just right" with the things that we've seen discussed so many times over the years.

Stranglehold is looking to offer all of those things and done "just right" in all ways.

I've heard there's a little fuss with the camera angle, but nothing overly-bad, so it doesn't seem like anything that would effect the game.

More and more I'm seeing people come out in certain places and recognize the potential of this game and "admit" to the fact that they certainly have been waiting for this very kind of thing (don't know what it is, but some people have this "persona" where they feel they have to only like more "advanced/serious" games, which is ridiculous - you can love both - sorry, was that a little "psychological"? lol) and Stranglehold looks like, finally, after the countless years of waiting, it's going to offer what we've been waiting for... we hope.

Anyway, since the wife is playing HL2 right now and I'm playing nothing at the moment, bored out of my head waiting for this release in particular before the "behemoths" like Crysis, CoD4 etc., I figured I'd just start a thread on what I feel will be a "behemoth" in it's own right and genre, and thought I'd start a thread on Stranglehold, since I've seen virtually nothing else discussed except Crysis, Far Cry 2 (recently), ET:QW and the "infamous" (lol) Bioshock.

Of course, everyone has different tastes and certainly there are those who will have no interest in this, just like I and certain others have absolutely no interest in Bioshock... just try not to flame the hell outta one another's opinions and preferences, eh? ;)
 
Use quotes or one sentence paragraphs much? Sheesh. In all seriousness though, this definitely looks like a game I'd be interested in. Sorta like Max Payne on crack.
 
Use quotes or one sentence paragraphs much? Sheesh. In all seriousness though, this definitely looks like a game I'd be interested in. Sorta like Max Payne on crack.

Hah, it does.

Hey, at least my grammar is correct! ;)
Despite long sentences, they're not run-on and my quotes and punctuation are used correctly! :D

Max Payne on crack... lol.
 
I was looking forward to it.. But they havent released a demo, and now the string of games with a shitload of hype are starting to pile out. I'll probably pick it up, but after Bioshock and MOH strutting amazing performance with UE3 on decent PCs, Stranglehold had better run nicely.
 
I was never excitied about it till i played the demo, then i got excited. After about 15 minutes of playing the action felt repetative and didn't feel fluid enough. Like when you slide over a table or whatever, you very obviously go into a scripted motion capped sliding motion that feels stiff and takes you out of character. Your model locks up and looks odd sometimes when it does a long sliding animation over a small object etc.

Good for a rental though.
 
I'm a big fan of the movie, but the game only seemed so-so based on the 360's demo. I like shooters (even 3rd person ones like Gears and RE4) but this game felt pretty repetitious after only 10 minutes of playing it. When you're making a crazy flying dive every 3 seconds, it loses impact. You pretty much exhaust every cool and unique thing Tequila does in the movie within the first minute of play.
I'm going to grab the PS3 version because I want to follow the plot and I want the HD disk. Beyond that...it's meh
 
wasn't excited until I played the demo too. I think this game is going to be a lot of fun.

Tom: Problem with comparing those two games (as good as they look) Strangle hold is really doing a lot of destruction. I don't know if it changed yet but it had really high system requirements.
 
I'm a big fan of the movie, but the game only seemed so-so based on the 360's demo. I like shooters (even 3rd person ones like Gears and RE4) but this game felt pretty repetitious after only 10 minutes of playing it. When you're making a crazy flying dive every 3 seconds, it loses impact. You pretty much exhaust every cool and unique thing Tequila does in the movie within the first minute of play.
I'm going to grab the PS3 version because I want to follow the plot and I want the HD disk. Beyond that...it's meh

I can understand where you're coming from. But with the over-the-top destruction, violence and action, maybe as the game furthers on into new levels we've not yet seen it'll continue to be enjoyable for those who feel that way. Multi-player too, is another aspect I find shocking they added, so cant wait to see how that really turns out. Personally, I cant imagine it every getting old for me.

wasn't excited until I played the demo too. I think this game is going to be a lot of fun.

Tom: Problem with comparing those two games (as good as they look) Strangle hold is really doing a lot of destruction. I don't know if it changed yet but it had really high system requirements.

A lot of people apparently felt that way, that once the played the demo, it became a "must own" for them.

How high were the last system requirements you've seen? I've actually seen absolutely nothing reliable. I know they're a lot lower than the rumors originally floating around (as is usual anyway, for the most part) because apparently everything is very well optimized.
 
It seems the demo is only out for XBox, not PC yet.

Edit:
I just watched the trailers and it looks brilliant!
 
I can understand where you're coming from. But with the over-the-top destruction, violence and action, maybe as the game furthers on into new levels we've not yet seen it'll continue to be enjoyable for those who feel that way. Multi-player too, is another aspect I find shocking they added, so cant wait to see how that really turns out. Personally, I cant imagine it every getting old for me.



A lot of people apparently felt that way, that once the played the demo, it became a "must own" for them.

How high were the last system requirements you've seen? I've actually seen absolutely nothing reliable. I know they're a lot lower than the rumors originally floating around (as is usual anyway, for the most part) because apparently everything is very well optimized.

should be around Bioshock and MOHA.
 
the demo on the 360 was pretty fun, i'll give this one a look when its released.
 
what a joke u'll never b as good as max payne 1 or 2. these game were so good i even played them over more than once over a couple years time. this game just looks bland to me. o wow u can jump on a cart and shoot ppl on ur back. :eek:
 
this game just looks bland to me. o wow u can jump on a cart and shoot ppl on ur back. :eek:

Played the demo on the 360 and thought the same thing, after 2 to 3 levels it would become mundane "slow-mo, shoot" run, find bad guy "slow-mo, shoot".
 
If the developers wanted me excited about the game, they would have released a PC demo. It looks to me like what a Max Payne remake would look these days, except with a weaker story, I guess we will see though.
 
It's fun to play, but seriously, you're just jumping and going into slow-motion every other second. There's really no penalty for staying in slow-mo almost the entire time. Your meter refills so quickly, it seems like you're supposed to play that way. Even if you don't, it's still to spastic. Every move you do is either a flying dive or a slide on something that's mysteriously not on a downward angle.
There are a few techniques that weren't in the 360's demo, but none seem like they change the core gameplay.

In terms of performance, it runs really well on the 360. I'd say it's significantly smoother than Bioshock considering how much stuff is going on. No clue about the PC version, but take that for what it's worth.
 
Officially delayed. 360, PS3 versions first, PC version sometime next month. I've completely lost interest in this game now, and will buy the other AAA titles being released over the next few months instead.
 
Officially delayed. 360, PS3 versions first, PC version sometime next month. I've completely lost interest in this game now, and will buy the other AAA titles being released over the next few months instead.

Actually, no... PS3 version is Sept. 14 which is after the PC version. The PC and X360 versions are hitting the streets on Sept. 6th (5th is the release date but Tuesdays and Thursdays are when things hit shelves in retail). So in just about nine days.
 
If the developers wanted me excited about the game, they would have released a PC demo. It looks to me like what a Max Payne remake would look these days, except with a weaker story, I guess we will see though.

Well, what really made Max Payne 1 and especially 2 (for me anyways) so good as the great noir stories, if Strangleholds story proves to be a good one, then I'll buy it for sure, either way I'll hold my breath until I can read some reviews of the PC version and knows how it runs...
 
Well, what really made Max Payne 1 and especially 2 (for me anyways) so good as the great noir stories, if Strangleholds story proves to be a good one, then I'll buy it for sure, either way I'll hold my breath until I can read some reviews of the PC version and knows how it runs...

Exactly. Max Payne had a cool look and feel to it and it never felt like you were diving and using slow motion needlessly. It had it's flaws but it was a good game. I'm hoping that Stranglehold's story is as good as it could be.
With Stranglehold, I'm getting the PS3 one. Blu-Ray disks are usually $20-25, so that's a decent enough value for me to get a game I'll likely win once and shelve.
 
I don't think anything could match the way the stories were told in Max Payne, as dark, gritty and engrossing as they were delivered. But as long as the story is delivered in a decent manner, it will only server to add to the game. Frankly, even if it isn't, it wont effect the enjoyment of the game for me personally in this particular instance. I'm all about the intense over-the-top destruction and action with this one.
 
Back
Top