Strangest Problem Ever

Brock

[H]ard|Gawd
I have this weird problem, (setup listed in sig)

I start up computer, POST, get to Windows loading screen and it just sits there, loading...loading...loading...

restart, boot into safe mode, immediately restart back into normal mode and it loads straight up.

I've tried updating, swapping out nearly every part in the machine and I can't figure out wtf is up with this.

Help!

I've even tried using different versions of XP

XP Home
XP Pro
XP MCE

the only version of XP floating around i havent used is x64

Another thing:

I think it may be a windows update or something.

Because it always works fine at first, but when i start getting to the nitty gritty of getting everything setup it just starts sucking.

have u tried reinstalling windows from scratch? have u upgraded your PC recently?

Numerous times, hence the above post.

I've formatted and reinstalled XP Home, XP Pro, XP MCE

I completely overhauled my PC. yeah

none of the parts included any more are part of my old rig lol

Clock the FSB a lot lower to see if it helps something that is running out of spec.
Once you know it can be stable, you have a place to start troubleshooting from.

Done and done.

Solid as a rock she is.

Where do I go from now?

Yeah i'm pretty sure that was one of the things I did in my mad crazy hours upon hours spent on trying to troubleshoot it.

betcha its the ram wierd stuff for me alot of times is just that ..ad some voltage or relax timings try one stick ,or could be its gone bad.. get your self couple gig sticks of some that there gskill ...

i'm going to try formatting, AGAIN and seeing how it does without me installing any windows updates. that's the current theory heh

I had that problem with my last AMD build. Turned out that I actually had to overvolt the CPU to fix it. This was at stock speed. May not help you in the least, but it sounds that it could be a power issue.

Well it can't be my power supply, i just replaced it with the uberest of PSU's lol

try booting from a linux live cd, and see if your system is stable

it's nice and stable once i get it loaded. it's just the getting it loaded part.

i've tried all kinds of stress testing and such in windows and the temps are nice and cool, and the rails are solid.

perhaps you system needs to be warm to boot?
Say a circut somewhere not properly connected or something...

the hard drives are brand new.

I don't think it's the warm thing, I've tried various aspects of that.

I think it's something in windows update causing it to break.

Okay a development I guess. I'm starting to be pretty sure it's some update that breaks it. Because I system restored to right after the point that I activated Windows and it's starting up fine....rargh.

You keep saying about windows update.. When you install XP and reboot you won't have any updates. Are you saying this problem occurs after you run windows update?

Okay, It's definitely a Windows Update that is breaking my machine.

Because i've tried installing everything I possibly can and Windows still loads up in 2 seconds, until I run windows update then it just craps out...

Okay it wasnt even that, it was my external HD.
When it was connected windows update downloaded a driver for it, and then that screwed things up or something. so as long as i have it disconnected during boot (or turned off) it starts up fine.

Back