strangest problem ever I think

el_lance_o

Limp Gawd
alright, as the title says, my friend and I got a really really strange bug in his system. This is how it works: the thing runs fine and stable and all, but soon enough while in windows for maybe a couple minutes to an hour, a program will basically stop responding and you can't exit out of it, it'll just like stay there open not doing anything. Nothing will install even if you try, it either freezes at the last bar, or doesn't even go at all. Oh and if you hit the ol ctrl alt del the only thing that pops up is the little system use box in the taskbar thingy, and no window. This system is running 2,5 gigs memory, and an athlon xp 3200, so this is really really really strange and stupid.

el_lance_o said:
the thing runs fine and stable and all, but soon enough while in windows for maybe a couple minutes to an hour

Test the memory, test the power supply.

Use the programs in my signature to scan for spyware/viruses. Make sure to update all the definitions before scanning.

If you can't install anything, you may want to try installing it in safe mode. If you still can't, HiJackthis may be your only option. Go download (google for it), and save the log it creates to a text file. Then copy/paste it here.

Ialready got the spywarre adware and avg checked, said there was nothing, still being a bugger. I'll test out safe mode to see what heppens real quick

alright I so far tried installing 3dmark 03 in safe mode, and that worked compared to the fact it wouldn't do anything in regular, or even let me exit out of it. I also noticed that the memory was set up with 2 gigs 400 and a 512 333, so I took out that one and left in the ddr 400 . So far everything was going well until 3dmark crashed when running it and restarted, saying a device driver installed cause it, etc. could it be the fact the system's runnig with only a 350 watt psu to power this, an x800 pro, and everything else, oh yeah and could heating have something to do with it too, cause it's just using standard coolers on the cpu.

Drop the amount of ram down to a single gig and try it. Windows acts a bit funny when given loads of ram, so just to take it out of the equation try it with a gig.

hey, had the same problem for a year before i was told what to do in order to find out what the problem was( i had the same games crashing and frezing/restarting the machine) ram memtest 86 found that one of my sticks of ram were bad :( long RMA short i got my ram replaced and fixed all the crashing so im 90% shure that its at lest 1 stick of ram thats bad if not more. i dont like to plug things normal(most things are crap) but this is why i like corsiar, you get a liftime warranty on all of there ram and they have a no questions asked, free RMA.
but now im back to fraging and driving with out crashes. so check if your ram supports free RMA and jump on it if you can.

Back