DarkwingDuck
n00b
- Joined
- Jan 15, 2004
- Messages
- 47
I'm using an old P3 system that is still running 98se (not my choice), and i'm using utorrent to download a copy of Ubuntu, wanna fool around and learn Linux finally.
problem is, system randomly locks up on me. I know, a laundry list of potential issues, and a n equally long list of ways to diagnose the issue probably. The only thing I've noticed is, the system definitely locks up when it is using a ton of bandwidth (cable broadband). if I try to stream a really long video on places like Google Video, Hulu, etc it definitely locks up (requiring a hard reboot). So any time I launch utorrent and let Ubuntu download, at some point soon after when the speed picks up, system locks up.
sad part is, i used 98 for the longest time, didn't match the switch to XP till 2004, which is all i know how to really use anymore, where error logs are located, what system tools work or are there, hell i can't even install a current version of ad-aware or firefox cause 98 is so old ;o
any idea where i can start looking? only thing i can think of is either hunt down the NIC manufacturer and finding current drivers, or some error logs of some kind.
only processes i've got running when using utorrent for example, are explorer, systray, hidserv and utorrent itself.
problem is, system randomly locks up on me. I know, a laundry list of potential issues, and a n equally long list of ways to diagnose the issue probably. The only thing I've noticed is, the system definitely locks up when it is using a ton of bandwidth (cable broadband). if I try to stream a really long video on places like Google Video, Hulu, etc it definitely locks up (requiring a hard reboot). So any time I launch utorrent and let Ubuntu download, at some point soon after when the speed picks up, system locks up.
sad part is, i used 98 for the longest time, didn't match the switch to XP till 2004, which is all i know how to really use anymore, where error logs are located, what system tools work or are there, hell i can't even install a current version of ad-aware or firefox cause 98 is so old ;o
any idea where i can start looking? only thing i can think of is either hunt down the NIC manufacturer and finding current drivers, or some error logs of some kind.
only processes i've got running when using utorrent for example, are explorer, systray, hidserv and utorrent itself.