Strange Temp Readings

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally got my new system up and running after replacing a DOA video card. After getting all the drivers and Windows updates done I installed Speccy and fired it up. All the temps seem fine until I look at the mother board which is reading 81° C and occasionally drops down to 60° C for a slit second. So, I loaded up Speed Fan and it was reading that the CPU was 81° C while Speccy was reporting 32° on the processor.

Using an IR thermometer I started checking everything and nothing was over 31° C on the surface. I figure if anything were really 81° C they'd show much higher than 31° C on the surface of the heat sink.

I'm just wondering if I should be concerned. Perhaps there's something better I can use to measure the temps? Also, I assume that the sensor for the mother board would be in the chipset? If not, where?

Often there is no actual sensor, and the readings are just random data pulled from the management chip - the chip supports temp sensors that aren't actually implemented on the board, in other words. Use CoreTemp or RealTemp to check the CPU temperature, and don't worry about anything else (except GPU temp, of course).

Back