Strange Router Problem

weuntouchable

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a LInksys WRT54GS with Alchemy firmware on it and up until a week ago it was running without any major problems for the past five years or thereabouts. Now I can not access websites or my pop email server, but I can still get online with Steam. Connecting the cable modem directly to the computer makes everything work properly, so I know it is the router that is having issues. I just have no idea what would cause a problem where Internet access isn't working, but I'm obviously able to connect to outside networks. I've tried resetting the router and resetting the cable modem. I'm all out of ideas on where to go now. Anyone have any clue what could be causing this?

I've done some additional playing around. I upgraded to the latest tomato firmware and the problem still persists. I can ping outside websites with the router connected. I can connect to the cable modem's configuration page through a web browser through the router. I cloned my computer's mac address within the router and that didn't change anything. I don't have easy access to another router, but I'm thinking I may just buy a wireless N router and see if that fixes things. I've had this router for at least five years, so maybe its broke.

Last edited:
I've continued to play around with things and the strange just gets stranger. If I enable dhcp instead of using static addresses for each computer on the network things work running the Internet connection through the router. If I disable dhcp the problem persists. I have three computers running on the network (2 wired, 1 wireless) and all experience the same issue so I know its the router. Does anyone have any ideas or should I just buy a new router and see what happens?

My first guess would be something is off with your DNS server settings. What DNS server(s) were you using when you were using static IPs? Did you continue using those DNS servers or did you let it use the DNS server(s) provided by DHCP?

I'm going to echo xnoodle and say that this sounds like a DNS issue. The DNS server is what essentially allows website names (for example hardforum.com) to be translated into IP addresses your computer can connect to (ie 75.126.99.220).

When you enable DHCP, the router is assigning you a DNS server at your ISP via your cable modem to perform this translation. Your Steam probably connects directly by using an IP address and does not need DNS. I'm willing to bet that the DNS server you're using with your static IP configuration is not valid. Try typing 75.126.99.220 into the web browser while you're using your static IP and I'm willing to bet you'll find yourself looking at [Hard]Forum.

Either switch your static DNS to match what it is when you have DHCP enabled, or use public DNS servers like 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

Last edited:
It was a DNS problem. I have been using my isp's dns servers since I've owned the router and they apparently must have changed them. I'm now using the public ones and everything is working as it should. Thanks for your help.

Back