Strange Restart Issue.

Nobi125

[H]ard|Gawd
Having an issue with my main PC (first one in sig). When it restarts after any software is installed, it goes through the log off/shut down windows process, cuts the video signal, and then it just stays powered on and never actually reboots.

I have to hold the power button until it turns off. When I go to boot it back up again it claims the overclock failed (24 hour prime stable), so I go into the BIOS and make NO changes and then it boots just fine. I tested it without an overclock and it does the exact same thing.

The PC goes to sleep and resumes from sleep just fine. It also shuts down just fine and boots just fine when starting cold. Just seems to be an issue with restarts after software is installed (I usually never restart for any other reason, but I restarted without installing anything just now and it didn't do it).

I'm thinking it's an issue with the motherboard. I remember my old Asus board doing stuff like this occasionally as well.

Any ideas?

It kinda sounds like it might be an overheating issue. Although any time Ive had a overheating issue in the past, I always get a constant red wave of pixels on my screen, which it doesnt sound like you are getting. I would double check and make sure your heatsink has a solid connection to your CPU. I would also run memtest if you have access to it, any of the basic diag steps, but it does look like its leaning towards a bad motherboard :/

It kinda sounds like it might be an overheating issue. Although any time Ive had a overheating issue in the past, I always get a constant red wave of pixels on my screen, which it doesnt sound like you are getting. I would double check and make sure your heatsink has a solid connection to your CPU. I would also run memtest if you have access to it, any of the basic diag steps, but it does look like its leaning towards a bad motherboard :/

I don't think it's heat, I can let stress tests and video benchmarks run and it stays up just fine.

I have a weird feeling it's the CMOS battery. Need to pick one up and try swapping it out.

Back