• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Strange random skipping in games

Antimatter3009

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 29, 2003
Messages
230
I've got a very strange problem. My computer was running mostly fine but it was getting full and starting to slow down so yesterday I backed up all my important data and formatted. After a few hours I had Windows XP Pro back up and running with all my data back and everything. So I try installing a couple games. I put UT2k4 and Far Cry on there. Today I loaded up Far Cry and it ran great for all of 2 seconds. Then the FPS dropped to about 2 for now reason, then immediately jumped back up to where it was before, which was 40. It continued to do this completely randomly while I played. It didn't matter what was going on onscreen. I could just stand in a room and spin in circles and everything would be fine for awhile, then it would slow down for a second or two, then it would be fine again, and it would repeat. Same thing is happening in Unreal. So I made attempts to fix it.

First thing, I thought it might be graphics overheating. I underclocked. No luck. I flashed the bios back to the original (where it remains). No luck. Messed with drivers. I had Cat 4.3's in so I put in Omega's 4.3's, then I put in old cat's. Still nothing. So the only other thing I can think of that would cause random slowdown like this is memory. I tried reseating the memory in each of the three slots to no avail. I shut off my paging file and still it skips.

I can't think of anything else to do now. I'm at a complete loss. And it all happened after a format, which makes me think software, but I don't know what could cause this in both games. Anyone have any ideas?
 
Well don't quote me on this but, I don't think farcry will run "superb" on 512/333 Athlon XP 2700. (What clock freq. is your chip at, btw?)

Try setting down the settings a tad, and see if that helps
 
If you haven't already, I would make sure that you have the latest windows updates and chipset drivers for your mobo. After that, I would try a game with your onboard video (if you have any that will run on it) so that you can try to eliminate the video card and its drivers as a possibility.
 
Make sure you are running a bare bones windows install with just the drivers for your keyboard/mouse, video card and sound card. Then test. I don't see any reason why it would be choppy even with your setup. Lower your graphics settings to performance in the ATI control panel.
 
I think I forgot to put it in my first post, but the same problem is happening in both games. I've tried updating my sound drivers and still have no luck. Next I'm gonna try and mess with my graphics card settings. Then onboard graphics...I'll keep you updated. In the meanwhile...more ideas?
 
I just formatted and there's almost nothing on the computer. I tried putting all my settings as low as possible and still have the same problem, and it still drops all the way to two fps or lower, despite being almost twice as high normally. Still have absolutely no idea whatsoever.
 
Originally posted by Antimatter3009
I just formatted and there's almost nothing on the computer. I tried putting all my settings as low as possible and still have the same problem, and it still drops all the way to two fps or lower, despite being almost twice as high normally. Still have absolutely no idea whatsoever.

Does you BIOS have an option for something like C1/C2 (might be C3/C4) Disconnect? Disable it/them if it does. I was having all sorts of sound problems and just general crap in FarCry, and then I remembered I had set this option back to Auto, since it supposedly keeps the processor cooler. Didn't make a single degree if difference, even at idle, and FarCry is much smoother.

Note that this option is set the Auto or On on most motherboard by default.
 
Originally posted by Antimatter3009

First thing, I thought it might be graphics overheating. I underclocked. No luck.


Like others said, try onboard video.. and lower the settings.

Farcry is pretty demanding, but UT should be alright.

Also, how hot is your proc running at full load?
 
I had a similar problem with the random slowdowns. Look at your CPU utilization Ctrl-at-delete, does the CPU util. jump from 0% to like 40% or so everyso often in winXP not in games?


IF it does what program is causing this? Then try to figure it out from there. My problem was I did a winXP fix and something was corrupted.. think the chipset drivers were not installed properly. So did a formatt and everything was fine.

You could have some stupid program doing this..
 
Originally posted by JBark
Does you BIOS have an option for something like C1/C2 (might be C3/C4) Disconnect? Disable it/them if it does.....

Note that this option is set the Auto or On on most motherboard by default.

I need to try that on my computer. I get a little jerkiness in Need For Speed Underground once in a while and its not in the same place so its not the video card being overloaded. It usually lasts a second or so then I don't see it for about 20 min then it comes back. For the most part I get SUPER SMOOTH gameplay with all settings maxed with the exception of motion blur which is disabled. This is with a wireless rumblepad as the controller. I get NO jerkiness in Far Cry. Just the usual slow down when there are a ton of light sources and even then the slow down isn't terrible. It hasn't turned into a slide show yet.
 
Back
Top